booting from cd

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
g5 dual 2ghz, 4gig ram, os x 10.5
ok, i have a big problem and i'll try and give as much info as possible and hopefully somebody can help me as i'm getting a bit panicy :(

i have a g5 powermac, it was running os x 10.4.?. yesterday i did a firefox update and then everything went a bit haywire (apps wouldn't open, text on screen went a bit crazy, etc)

i reset using the switch on the front as it wouldn't restart from the menu

on restart i noticed that the system beep didn't happen (i can't find anything anywhere to explain why it isn't beeping)

it did the grey screen with the circular loader fine

then when it got to the blue screen with the grey square with the progress bar on it did a little bit of disk activity then nothing, the progress bar did nothing

i tried the following fixes

1. reset the pram (thought i'd give it a go - it reset the resolution etc so i know it worked - basically i know the keyboard worked - this will make more sense later on)
2. tried to start in safe mode by holding shift down (it did the crazy long really loud disc activity but then after that it just went to the blue screen mentioned above and the progress bar stayed empty and the disc activity stopped)
3. tried to boot from an older 10.2.? install disc by holding c but it did nothing and went to the blue screen mentioned above again

so tonight i went out and bought a new 160gig sata and removed the old hd and put the new one in but when i turn it on and hold C to run the install from the disc (an older eMac 10.2.? disc i borrowed from a friend as my original disks are in my moms garage about 3 hours drive away) nothing happens and it goes straight to the folder/question mark icon

anyone got any ideas what i'm doing wrong? is there any reason it won't boot from disc when i hold C? because there is no system beep i just whait for a second to hear the disc spin before holding the C key. i basically want to install the os 10.2.? then when i get chance do the upgrade to my 10.4.? disc

this is the only mac i have access to so i cant do any funky slaving or anything, i'm pretty aux faix with windows stuff as i'm a windows programmer but with macs i'm pretty much in the dark

i'll appreciate any help at all so thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Get your original discs urgently as they are the only ones that will work, other than going out and buying a new retail full install Leopard DVD.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, thanks....they're being dispatched express so i should have them by saturday :)

also i tried holding alt/option key to get a list of the bootable discs (something i read somewhere) and it gave two icons - a circular arrow and a right pointing arrow

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
10.2 does not support the G5. As was suggested you will need to get either a 10.4 or 10.5 full install media.

I don't know about the no beep , but for future reference:

1 beep = No RAM installed/detected
2 beeps = Incompatible RAM type installed (for example, EDO)
3 beeps = No RAM banks passed memory testing
4 beeps = Bad checksum for the remainder of the boot ROM
5 beeps = Bad checksum for the ROM boot bloc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do NOT under any circumstances use the Jaguar X.2 disc ~ something may have become well and truly corrupted. When you get the Tiger disc, boot from it and go to Utilities>Disk Utility and run Repair Disk and see what is says. If all comes up okay run Repair Permissions, and with luck you may be back in business.

If not, erase the hdd and clean install time.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok here's an update and thanks for all the help so far :)

it turns out that the original disc that I got was 10.2 (i bought my G5 second hand about 2 years ago) so i'm presuming the guy i bought it off did an upgrade at some point but didn't give me the disc :(

i went out and bought a new sata drive and installed the 10.2 on it but kept everything else on my old drive because i have a helluva lot of stuff on it that i can't afford to wipe away

is there any way i can get the disk utility tool as a standalone download from somewhere?

unfortunately (because i'm a bit of a mac noob) i ran the 10.2 disk utility to try and repair the 10.4 drive, have i fubar'd it? the error i got when i ran the repair was as follows

invalid leaf record count
(it should be 15 instead of 6184)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Read earlier post. Buy a Leopard full retail install disc, reformat drive and do a clean install and get rid of the X.2 disc.

Yes the seller diddled you out of a Tiger install disc. No doubt he kept it for himself.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i've heard mixed reviews about leopard so far so i'll hold off on buying it for now. i was happy enough with tiger tbh, the only thing i really want back is expose because i tend to have so many illustrator docs open that it's easier to keep track of them all that way

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is always your decision Neil and good luck. When you buy Tiger discs make sure they are the full retail install DVD, black colored, and do not buy the grey model specific ONLY System Restore discs.

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i just ended up buying the full version of leopard in the end, it was the same price as tiger for a full version so i figured, it'll save me having to upgrade sooner in the long run, and also £65 seemed a good price, will i have to wipe my previous 10.2 installation or will it just go over the top of it? i only ask as i've partitioned the drive into os/files and i don't wanna have to reinstate all the files again on the file partition (i only ask as the partition is not journaled like my 10.4 drive is)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Boot from your Leopard disc and do a clean install which will wipe and format the HDD. I don't think Leopard will read all Jaguar files and applications. When everything is up and running look for an external HDD and use Firewire and SuperDuper, Carbon Copy Cloner or Time Machine to back your system up;.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.