MacBook Pro Screen Problem

Reaction score
I got my MacBook Pro about a year and a half ago, and I have never experianced problems with it untill recently. My MacBook Pro screen has started turning has started freezing, dispaying a pinkish color, and slowly going grey. The sound works fine while it is doing this, but it won't go back to normal. I have tried not using it for a few days, hoping it would stop, but so far it continues to do this. After waiting a few minutes I can turn on my MacBook Pro again, and it will be fine, but only for a little, after about a half hour, it will go pinkish again. The screen itself is not turning pink, but is displaying a pinkish color.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
You could try recalibrating the display. System Preferences-Displays
Something else to try.
http://bergdesign.com/supercal/

If you can, use an external display and see if the problem is also on the external. If it is, then there is likely a problem with the video chip. If not, then the problem is likely with the built in display.

OP
P
Reaction score
It isn't a problem with the calibration I don't think. The screen doesn't always have a pinkish hue, the screen freezes after being on for a little while and turns pinkish and then slowly grey. I tried connecting to an external monitor, and when my MacBook Pro's screen went pink, the external display didn't change at all.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It isn't a problem with the calibration I don't think. The screen doesn't always have a pinkish hue, the screen freezes after being on for a little while and turns pinkish and then slowly grey. I tried connecting to an external monitor, and when my MacBook Pro's screen went pink, the external display didn't change at all.

My gut feeling is that you have a hardware problem. Try running the Apple Hardware Test and report back.

OP
P
Reaction score
Ok, I ran the hardware test, and I tried changing the calibration. The calibration change didn't do anything, my Macbook Pro still had the same problem. The hardware test said that nothing was wrong.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, I ran the hardware test, and I tried changing the calibration. The calibration change didn't do anything, my Macbook Pro still had the same problem. The hardware test said that nothing was wrong.

Can you tell us a little more about the problem?

1. Does the problem occur on specific occasions (i.e. when certain programs are open, when you're performing a particular task or only after a certain amount of time running)?

2. When the problem occurs, does a reboot solve it (even temporarily)?

3. What version of Mac OS are you using and how is your MacBook Pro equipped (any aftermarket memory?).

4. Do environmental conditions impact the problem (i.e. does it only happen when outside or at certain temperatures).

5. Did anything change on the system around the time the problem started to occur?

The answers to these questions, even if they seem irrelevant, may help us to narrow down the problem. I would also recommend creating a new user account and logging into that and performing your normal tasks. If it happens under another user account, then we know that the problem is system-wide and is not specific to any one user.

OP
P
Reaction score
"1. Does the problem occur on specific occasions (i.e. when certain programs are open, when you're performing a particular task or only after a certain amount of time running)?"

No, it does not seem to have anything that triggers the screen going pink. I have found that the problem does not usually occur for at least 15 minutes or so though.

"2. When the problem occurs, does a reboot solve it (even temporarily)?"

Yes, a reboot will solve it for a little while. Sometimes I have to wait 5 or 10 minutes before turning it on again, but rebooting helps temporarily.

"3. What version of Mac OS are you using and how is your MacBook Pro equipped (any aftermarket memory?)."

I am using OS X version 10.4.11

"4. Do environmental conditions impact the problem (i.e. does it only happen when outside or at certain temperatures)."

Environmental conditions do not affect it at all, I have seen it happen in cold waether, hot weather, etc.

"5. Did anything change on the system around the time the problem started to occur?"

Nothing changed on the system exept for the screen going pink and then slowely going grey.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"1. Does the problem occur on specific occasions (i.e. when certain programs are open, when you're performing a particular task or only after a certain amount of time running)?"

No, it does not seem to have anything that triggers the screen going pink. I have found that the problem does not usually occur for at least 15 minutes or so though.

"2. When the problem occurs, does a reboot solve it (even temporarily)?"

Yes, a reboot will solve it for a little while. Sometimes I have to wait 5 or 10 minutes before turning it on again, but rebooting helps temporarily.

Those two things make me suspect heat problems. But the fact that many times it goes away after a reboot is surprising if that was the case.

"3. What version of Mac OS are you using and how is your MacBook Pro equipped (any aftermarket memory?)."

I am using OS X version 10.4.11

Are you using the original memory that Apple installed from the factory?

"5. Did anything change on the system around the time the problem started to occur?"

Nothing changed on the system exept for the screen going pink and then slowely going grey.

What I mean by that is whether you installed any new software packages or added any peripherals around the time the problem started. In particular, software packages like Photoshop can come with tools that attempt to better calibrate the display and I wonder if something got installed accidentally that impacts the color.

This seems like a tough one to diagnose remotely. Any chance you could take a picture of what the screen looks like when the problem starts?

OP
P
Reaction score
I am using the original memory that my MacBook Pro came with. I haven't installed any software packages resently, and I hadn't had this problem untill a couple a weeks ago. I will try to get a picture of the problem.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am using the original memory that my MacBook Pro came with. I haven't installed any software packages resently, and I hadn't had this problem untill a couple a weeks ago. I will try to get a picture of the problem.

Cool, thanks for bearing with me.

OP
P
Reaction score
Ok, I got some pictures of the problem.

This is a few seconds after the screen froze:
0327082112.jpg

This is about a minute after the screen froze:
0327082112a.jpg

This is 2 or 3 minutes after the screen froze:
0327082113a.jpg

Hope that helps.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Holy cow! Much worse than I had originally imagined.

My guess would be a bad video card. What would confirm that would be if the same thing occurs on an external display. By chance, do you have a monitor you can hook up externally and see if the problem carries over to it?

OP
P
Reaction score
I though it was the video card for a while to, but when I hooked it up to an external moniter, the external moniter didn't have any problems, and didn't dispay the pink and grey, but what the screen looked like before it froze.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Did the system freeze as well or just the display?
Holy cow! Much worse than I had originally imagined.
Took the words right out of my mouth!;D

OP
P
Reaction score
Only the display froze, when I connected my MacBook Pro to an external display I could use it as if it were normal (exept looking at the external display instead of the screen), the sound worked fine, as did everything else exept for the screen.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I though it was the video card for a while to, but when I hooked it up to an external moniter, the external moniter didn't have any problems, and didn't dispay the pink and grey, but what the screen looked like before it froze.

So, the machine still freezes, but the display doesn't corrupt (externally). It appears to only happen once the machine has fully warmed up and in normal use. A reboot will cure it sometimes, but many times it needs to be left off for awhile.

All of this points to an overheating problem (at least in my mind). If it were the processor overheating, it would turn off. If it were fan related (or one of the two fans not working), AHT would have detected it. The graphic anomalies and complete freeze seem to be related to the graphics subsystems (maybe not necessarily the video card, but the inverter, flex cable or components near or around the GPU). Either way, it's soldered to the system board, so a repair would include replacing it.

Before you write it off though, I would try doing a full backup to an external (with SuperDuper or CarbonCopyCloner) and then reinstall OS X clean. That would eliminate the possibility of a software issue (not that I can imagine this to be one, by any stretch of the imagination).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Only the display froze, when I connected my MacBook Pro to an external display I could use it as if it were normal (exept looking at the external display instead of the screen), the sound worked fine, as did everything else exept for the screen.

OK, I totally misunderstood that piece. I was thinking the machine was non-operable during this problem. It's just that the picture on the attached display doesn't work.

That's totally bizarre - I've been repairing PCs and laptops for a very long time now. I do it for a living. This makes absolutely no sense to me.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm leaning toward the flex cable. Perhaps as it heats up, the swelling of the plastics somehow causes a short or aggravates some existing wear on the cable.

How comfortable are you with disassembling it? (I assume it's not under warranty, right?)

OP
P
Reaction score
I don't think that I want to disassemble it. Would it be good to take it and get it looked at? Also, if I were to disassemble it, what would I look for to see if it was a problem with the flex cable?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think that I want to disassemble it. Would it be good to take it and get it looked at? Also, if I were to disassemble it, what would I look for to see if it was a problem with the flex cable?

I would say that if you've never disassembled a laptop before, an Apple laptop is not a good one to learn on (they tend to be very tedious to get apart and put back together properly).

Another member sent his machine off to MacService.com (they are actually a member here) and was very happy with the service. I would PM member MacService and run it by them and see if you can get a ballpark quote.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.