How to find the iPhoto Library Folder Location

Reaction score
Dear All

I want to know how can I find the laocation of a iPhoto Library created by iPhoto application using iPhoto not following to the Home->Picture->iPhoto Library.

Assume that we dont know where exactly the iPhoto Library is stored and it is aso not in Picature folder. In this condition if I want to know the storage location of the iPhoto Library what are the means to do so especailly with the help of iPhoto Application.

Is there any menu in iPhoto application in the Iphoto application which tells us that this is the loaction of the iPhoto Library created by the Iphoto application.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
If it is not in the Home>picture> iPhoto Library, then you could open the app, choose a photo, right click and choose "show in finder". That should locate the file for you.

OP
sbvishal
Reaction score
Re: Thanks

Dear Mary
Thanks for your answers.
It worked.

Thanks

If it is not in the Home>picture> iPhoto Library, then you could open the app, choose a photo, right click and choose "show in finder". That should locate the file for you.

Reaction score
Finding your original photos in iPhoto

Here is an explanation on how I got to my original photos in iPhoto version 8.1.1. Apple shouldn't make this so complicated to do.

In finder window click on 'GO'
Click on 'Home'
Scroll down the left hand side menu to 'Pictures'
The iPhoto 'package' appears which can be dragged to the desktop, a removable usb drive or whatever.
This is the iPhoto library in a "package' which may be very big and has a lot of stuff you don't necessarily want such as thumbnails.
To whittle the iPhoto "package" down to a manageable size, hold down the 'Control' key when you click on the iPhoto library icon.
Chose "Show Package Contents" from the menu which appears.
Scroll down to "Originals"
You can open the "Originals" folder to get at your photos.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Just because you CAN get to your photos that way, does not mean you SHOULD. Mucking about in the iPhoto Library in finder will cause the app to not be able to find your photos, and will render the app useless to you. Apple put that file in a "package" so that users would stay out of that file and not corrupt their photo database. We are meant to do anything and everything to/with our photos from within the app itself. The app is all you need to organize and find your photos. Deleting anything from the library in finder will cause you more headaches than you can imagine. You NEED the Originals, Modified and thumbnails in that file in order for iPhoto to work. If you want to make space, delete some photos from within the app, NOT from that file. You'll know that you messed up when you open iPhoto and try to look at your photos and finde nothing but grey boxes with exclamation points in them! That is what you will get if you remove, move, delete, rename or otherwise alter the photo database in finder.

Trust me, you and your photos will be much happier if you stay out of the library in finder!

Reaction score
Mary,

How hard is t to locate the iphoto file if you tried removing the file from location?

Thanks,
K

C

chas_m

I am mystified as to why either of you would ever need to go mucking around corrupting the iPhoto database as you are doing.

How hard is it to drag a photo out onto the desktop? Voila, a fresh copy for you to play without side of iPhoto, and nothing messed up!

Reaction score
File location of photos

I don't want to muck with my photos in Finder.

What I want to do is add photos to Flickr from my iPhoto library. How the heck do you locate the file location of photos in Finder? I see the icon for my iPhoto library but clicking on that icon opens iPhoto.

Sheesh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro

What I want to do is add photos to Flickr from my iPhoto library. How the heck do you locate the file location of photos in Finder? I see the icon for my iPhoto library but clicking on that icon opens iPhoto.

Sheesh.

Simple as 1. 2. 3.

flickrScreenshot.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 Ghz - 4Gig Ram - iPod 60gig Black - iPhone 3GS Black 32gig

Sheesh.

Photos can be loaded from iphoto directly to flickr. No need to mess about in the iphoto Library at all.

If you want to do it manually, then export the photos from iphoto to another location, like your desktop, then upload them.

Reaction score
I am mystified as to why either of you would ever need to go mucking around corrupting the iPhoto database as you are doing.

How hard is it to drag a photo out onto the desktop? Voila, a fresh copy for you to play without side of iPhoto, and nothing messed up!

There are reported issues with the installation of iLife '11...in that it erases all your photos and I'd like to back them up before I install.

Reaction score
um...please help

i am reading all of this about iphoto, but iphoto drives me crazy. one of the posts said you should be able to do anything you need to within the app.

i have found lots of deficiencies with the app, or i am hopeful that the deficiency are just with my understanding and someone can tell me what to do here.

i am a graphic designer and long used to PC, where i used free google software called picassa to organize my images. picassa was an awesome tool, an interface with the actual original files, which it allowed you to locate and manipulate easily. the most important part is that it allowed you drag your "images" into InDesign, in a format that created links, just as if you were dragging it right out of it's original location. links are imperative in complex design work. iphoto will not create links, it just drops full size images into the middle of your document. The only other way around this is "place" images, but without knowing their original path, you can't place.

i cannot understand why designers prefer mac over pc! they do make a version of picassa for mac, but it has a drag and drop glitch that everyone is complaining about in forums like this, so it won't work.

does anyone know a way around this?

also, if you buy a mac, and then transfer all of your photos at once, and forever upload your photos via iphoto, i can see it doing a good job of organizing, but i am combining photos from years, and some of them are duplicates, others i want to throw away, i need to be able to get into all the sub folders and organize. i still do not understand how to do this. going on the path:Users/Me/Pictures/iphotoLibrary/BestPICS when i get to iphoto library, it opens iphoto. so where are the source files?

PLEASE HELP!!!

THANK YOU!!!

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
iPhoto The Missing Manual is a good book on iPhoto.

I use Aperture and Adobe PSE myself, but I am definitely not a graphics designer.

Reaction score
other iPhoto issue fixed thanks to this

"hold down the 'Control' key when you click on the iPhoto library icon.
Chose "Show Package Contents" from the menu which appears."

Unrelated, but this let me put my 'Documents' folder back in the package after my kid had moved it (and several other 'Documents' folders) to my trash...

I was opening them to view their contents and saw 'faces' and 'albums', etc. so I knew it had something to do with iPhoto.

Luckily it wasn't emptied. When I launched iPhoto, it was spinning and spinning so I quit it, used the control click op to open the package and drag the 'Documents' folder over from the trash - iPhoto repaired!
Thanks.

Reaction score
Just because you CAN get to your photos that way, does not mean you SHOULD.
Trust me, you and your photos will be much happier if you stay out of the library in finder!
But if the master list still has photos that you already deleted from iphoto, how else would you delete the photo? I removed a bunch of photos, but they remain.

Reaction score
I have read a lot of comments about iPhoto folder organization. I have come to the conclusion that if you don't like its organization options, the best thing to do is to uninstall iPhoto as soon as you can. If you think Apple can organize your photos better than you can, that's fine. If not, do your own organizing by dragging your photos directly from your camera into you own folder structure in Finder. You can easily rearrange, move, delete, rename, and copy your photos as you see fit, not as some Apple programmer decided was best. Can you lose your original photos by organizing them yourself in Finder? Yes, you can. Just be careful about what you are doing and you won't lose anything.

Reaction score
Just because you CAN get to your photos that way, does not mean you SHOULD. Mucking about in the iPhoto Library in finder will cause the app to not be able to find your photos, and will render the app useless to you. Apple put that file in a "package" so that users would stay out of that file and not corrupt their photo database. We are meant to do anything and everything to/with our photos from within the app itself. The app is all you need to organize and find your photos. Deleting anything from the library in finder will cause you more headaches than you can imagine. You NEED the Originals, Modified and thumbnails in that file in order for iPhoto to work. If you want to make space, delete some photos from within the app, NOT from that file. You'll know that you messed up when you open iPhoto and try to look at your photos and finde nothing but grey boxes with exclamation points in them! That is what you will get if you remove, move, delete, rename or otherwise alter the photo database in finder.

Hello, I believe I have done all of the above except I am able to see the picture if I double click on it. I have the gray box just no thumbnails. Is this something I can fix myself or should I look to some professional help on this one? I do have my pics backed up on an external hard drive but it wont let me put them back in the library. Keeps giving me an error message saying the file is already in the i photo library. This really sucks.

Reaction score
I ditched iPhoto completely. How it worked and the file structure were just too confusing to my underpowered brain.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To those of you who find iPhoto not to your liking, download the free Google Picasa for the Mac. Download from here.

Reaction score
I like I photo just fine. However I'm not sure what I did to make the file disappear, and how difficult it going to be to get it back. Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.