Mac reads DVD's but not CD's

Reaction score
I've got a problem with my Mac which I haven't been able to find an answer to online yet. Basically I bought a G5 dual processor (not core) off a mate, it's running on Leopard, and since the leopard upgrade, the optical drive has been unable to read CD's- but not entirely. DVD's are fine, DVDR's of various types are fine, and I just tried the first World of Warcraft installation CD to see if the 'autoplay' installation would prompt the computer to read the disc, and it did. I began to install the game to see if it would read subsequent discs, but alas as I placed the 2nd disc in the drive- again, it wasn't read.

No other CD's have able to have been read on the computer (the drive attempts to read them then merely stops - no messages on screen) and this has been attempted with a multitude of discs - software, music and burnt- and I'm positive it's a firmware issue - not a hardware one. Is anyone aware of any patches for this specific problem, as there hasn't been a software update I've downloaded yet that has fixed the problem

Help or ideas outside of 'it's a copy protection issue' or 'format your drive and reinstall Leopard' would be greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Do you have a slot loading or a tray drive? Cause in a tray drive if you don't puck the centre circle thingy right into the hole of the cd it won't read. I had that issue on my old imac. It's fiddely but pushed in properly it worked for me.

But apart from that, this is a really strange issue. Is the cd mounting peoperly or not? Does something like disk utility or toast recognising them? Cause I have a similar issue with a few cds I have. They won't be read my my new imac (slot loading) and show the exact same symptoms as you are having.

When it tries to read the cds does it spin up the cd louder than usual or click a few times before failing to read them and just stopping?

And have you tried inserting that WOW CD again to see if that cd would work again? Cause it's funny that one, (well disc one anyways) would work and no others would.

Really I don't know what would fix this issue. I'd so like to know too. Anyone with an answer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What brand optical player is installed? Try the manufacturer's web site for a firmware update. They can be a nuisance. Early Pioneer's had to be removed from the Mac, installed in a PC, firmware updated, removed etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
True, but with bootcamp would this be done in XP or something and let the drive thin it's a pc when it's really not. Would that work for that circumstance?

OP
T
Reaction score
Its a tray loading drive and I tried the WoW CD again and it worked fine. It's a liteon drive, and I know of one firmware upgrade but it's download location is nowhere to be found. I've been a PC user until a few weeks ago, how easy is it to just replace the CD drive altogether? Is it as easy as with a PC? If so I might just get a newer drive and hope for the best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Firstly have a look at the Liteon web site for firmware upgrade, link below. Optical drives are as cheap as chips, got a new Pioneer DVR-115D 20X Dual Layer here in Australia and fitted myself. Cost AU$39.00.

Go to XLR8yourmac.com and look for tutorials on fitting the drive. It is quite easy, apart from how tight the power leads are!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.