Output Video and Audio

Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering if there is a way to output video to a HDMI compliant TV and optical sound to a 5.1 receiver on a current model Imac, that was easily switched on and off when in use on the TV through a universal remote?

I want to integrate the Imac into the Home Theatre system so I have to access content through my TV.

I was interested in the hardware side before looking into better media centre software etc

Thanks

Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8 intel...
I'm in the same boat

Dave,

As far as I know, the only way to connect your iMac to your TV is via the mini-dv to VGA adaptor (and a VGA cable). I think HDMI is a long way off...

As for audio, I am currently using a Y-jack (mini headphone to RCA) to connect to my A/V receiver. This is how I have connected my PowerBooks to receivers in the past and works pretty well. However, it always seemed to me that the sound is somehow... compressed, for lack of a better term. My assumption has always been that the connection is the reason.

The output jack on the back of the iMac is referred to in the iMac manual as: "Headphone out / optical digital audio out port."

Do you (or anyone) know if there is a special "optical" connection for this?

Thanks,

Steve

OP
D
Reaction score
It is a mini-toslink/optical connection, you can either get a toslink cable with this connector or buy an adaptor that goes on the end of a normal toslink cable so it fits in a 3.5mm plug.

It could also be called a 3.5mm optical cable.

I think I need to just get an Apple TV but as Im in Australia we dont get the movie downloads or rentals like the US. We only just started getting TV shows and only a small number.

I considered a third party media streaming device but none seem to have the seemless experience of an apple product.

Anyone seem any good media streamers?

Dave

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.