sleep question MBP

Reaction score
Does closing the notebook put it to sleep automatically or do you need to go into the menu or power button to sleep?

I am curious because I was just closing the lid and putting her on the charger but I noticed that when I went back and opened her up she was very hot and the battery would only last 1-2 hours.

Could this be because I had bluetooth on and it was sitting near my mouse+keyboard?

Finally - I've read different things but - does anyone know if it is bad for the battery or the macbook if I have it on the charger 90% of the time?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Does closing the notebook put it to sleep automatically or do you need to go into the menu or power button to sleep?

I am curious because I was just closing the lid and putting her on the charger but I noticed that when I went back and opened her up she was very hot and the battery would only last 1-2 hours.

Could this be because I had bluetooth on and it was sitting near my mouse+keyboard?

Bingo on that last sentence. A Bluetooth external device can wake up a sleeping Mac, even with the lid closed. And yes, just closing the lid should normally put the machine to sleep - there is no need to select sleep from the Apple menu unless you want to leave the lid open while it sleeps.

Finally - I've read different things but - does anyone know if it is bad for the battery or the macbook if I have it on the charger 90% of the time?

In my experience, no. About 50 of the 100 or so laptops that I support in my work are kept almost constantly charged. As a result, those that are not regularly drained tend to last longer - sometimes double or triple the normal lifespan. However, I have heard many people give opinions to the contrary. It's a crap shoot really. Use your laptop the way that makes sense to you. Batteries are consumable and will need to be replaced periodically either way.

Reaction score
or you can set your hot corners i have the top left set for sleep top right for screen saver bottom left for desktop bottom right for all windows

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
or you can set your hot corners i have the top left set for sleep top right for screen saver bottom left for desktop bottom right for all windows

Do you find you accidentally activate sleep or the screen saver with this setup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I have my screen saver in the lower right hot corner and I never accidentally activate it.

I have "clear the desktop" in my upper right and I occasionally hit it accidentally. But if I do, I just flick the mouse back into the same corner again and it unclears (is that a word?) itself, so it's a non-issue.

I had something in the upper left hot corner but I turned it off because I was always hitting it accidentally. Some corners are more prone to being hit accidentally than others.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.