Ipod won't mount but charges on G5 and powerbook G4

O

okwhatev

It's a third gen 40GB with cradle. It's always worked fine, and now, it simply won't mount but sits there and charges.

Ran the diagnostic test on ipodlounge and it said "Firewire fail". Tried to manually put it into disk mode, but it just freezes up.

I'm totally baffeled. It wasn't abused or dropped or submitted to liquids. Suddenly, the little guy just won't mount anymore. Can anyone please help me?

OP
O

okwhatev

Also: When it starts going into disk mode, a little line appears over the apple logo, but then it just stops. Really strange....the thing works fine otherwise: it charges and plays it's existing library no problem. It just simply won't communicate with either the G5 or the Powerbook G4 yet charges, signifiying there's nothing wrong with the cable or connection. What gives?

OP
O

okwhatev

on both computers? no way...they work fine with every other firewire device. are you saying burnt on the ipod itself?

OP
C

ChicoWeb

okwhatev said:
on both computers? no way...they work fine with every other firewire device. are you saying burnt on the ipod itself?

My bad, i thought you meant on one machine. I had that same problem, I reset my PRAM and it worked for me. Have you tried restarting your ipod?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.