Can you use the iPhone as a modem for a Mac Book?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 20" 2 GHZ 4MB, Macbook, Iphone, Ipod Touch
I am looking for a sort of one size fits all mobile computing device. The Iphone certainly appeals to me, but the small size screen and keyboard are drawbacks. The Mac Book and MBP appeal to me for the size of the screen and the ease of keyboard usage.

Question? Can you marry the two devices and have the best of both? Can the Iphone be your "air card" to connect to the MB or MBP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (Aluminum), MacBook (Core Duo), iPod (Classic), 16GB iPhone 3G
Only if you have an unlocked iPhone at the moment. Google it and you should find it.

I'm hoping for some sort of app for this to work with a non-hacked. We'll see.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
agreed it would be nice app to have.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Out of the box, no, you can't tether an iPhone to a Macbook. You would need to jailbreak it in order to get that functionality. However, I think it's limited to a physical connection via USB, unlike other phones where you can connect via Bluetooth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4Ghz, BlackBook 2.0 Ghz, iBook G4, 8Gb iPhone, AppleTV, 80 Gb Video iPod 3 Nanos and 1 Shuffle
Kash is spot on. Not only is it limited to a USB connection it's just too slow to really do anything useful, like play WoW at work ;)

There are two ways to do it, one is with Tiny Proxy, the other one I can't remember. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time tethering it if your using the edge network.

Reaction score
Kash is spot on. Not only is it limited to a USB connection it's just too slow to really do anything useful, like play WoW at work ;)

There are two ways to do it, one is with Tiny Proxy, the other one I can't remember. Personally, I wouldn't waste my time tethering it if your using the edge network.

Most people who have interest in tethering, probably don't need it to play WoW. Most people I know who use their phones to tether do it for work purposes, Email, IM, or small amounts of web browsing on the fly. GSM/Edge is fine for doing Emails.

I wish there were better ways to tether as well.. the current methods just blow. Quite a few people in my office are staying away from the iPhone just because it wont tether as a modem. I really wish Apple would add this extremely basic function.. even your run of the mill, free, POS phones have tethering functionality.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I used to tether my 8125 to my Macbook, which also used EDGE, it wasn't that bad for casual browsing and email. Obviously it was much better when I got the 3G enabled 8525, but the point is that EDGE is perfectly usable for tethering.

Reaction score
What about the new 3G iPhone?

So does the new 3G iPhone allow you to "tether" the iphone to your Mac and use it as a modem? I really hope so. That would be great, especially as it seems you are forced to by a over the air date plan with the iPhone.

Reaction score
Still no announcement from Apple on tethering capabilities for 3G iPhones, or software update 2.0. Very disappointing in my book, as Apple keeps overlooking simple functions like this. (cut and paste, tethering, etc)

Reaction score
Still no announcement from Apple on tethering capabilities for 3G iPhones, or software update 2.0. Very disappointing in my book, as Apple keeps overlooking simple functions like this. (cut and paste, tethering, etc)

What a bummer. In all likely hood I will get the new iPhone, since I am an AT&T customer already and frankly other then the fact that they don't seem to have the coverage that Sprint does (at least with my experience with the two companies) I am happy with them. I just wish I could do the tethering since I will have to add a $30.00 (or what ever it is) data plan to my existing service and quite frankly I could live with the Wi-Fi only access with the phone if the tethering is not allowed over the data plan.

This may be a dumb question, but does AT&T have any phones that allows tethering capabilities? Is this an AT&T issue or is an Apple issue?

Thanks,
Richard

Reaction score
Most of the PDA phones allow it. My 8925/Tilt will allow you to. Works really well to. Ashame the phone is way to effing slow....Oh and BIG

Reaction score
Most of the PDA phones allow it. My 8925/Tilt will allow you to. Works really well to. Ashame the phone is way to effing slow....Oh and BIG

With that being said, then why would Apple not build this feature into the iPhone. I could see AT&T not wanting that option because it would seriously drive up bandwidth usage over their network, but if that feature is available on other AT&T phones, then why not the iPhone.

I wonder if that feature could be added with a 3rd party App using the new iPhone Dev kit instead of having to jail break the phone. Again, why would Apple care and why would AT&T care if they are already allowing it with other phones. Strange???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

You have an 8925 and are calling an iPhone big? I have the 8125 and the 8525 and the word "big" in no way applies to the iPhone in comparison to the HTC phones.

As for why Apple doesn't build in tethering, your guess is as good as mine. Could just be that there's not enough demand for Apple to build in that functionality. Could just be part of the agreement with AT&T.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 27" iMac 2.8GHz i7 8GB Ram | Mid 2007 15" Macbook Pro 2.4GHz 4 GB Ram | iPhone 4s | iPad 3
I am wondering this too seeing as how I can currently use my blackberry for internet on my macbook, but I'm considering buying the new 3g iphone.

Reaction score
Most people who have interest in tethering, probably don't need it to play WoW. Most people I know who use their phones to tether do it for work purposes, Email, IM, or small amounts of web browsing on the fly. GSM/Edge is fine for doing Emails.

I wish there were better ways to tether as well.. the current methods just blow. Quite a few people in my office are staying away from the iPhone just because it wont tether as a modem. I really wish Apple would add this extremely basic function.. even your run of the mill, free, POS phones have tethering functionality.

This is not an Apple problem, it's an AT&T problem. Apple would probably be more than willing to enable tethering out of the box but AT&T is VERY, VERY overly cautious of it's network and they were freaking out when the 3G iphones launched because they weren't even sure the network would handle it. There's no way AT&T will allow tethering anytime soon unless you do it without their knowledge by jailbreaking your phone.

Just get an aircard. There's like $40 a month or something. :Smirk:

Reaction score
One other issue to be aware of -- tethering an iPhone is a breach of your user agreement with AT&T. They do track 3G usage and if there's a major spike indicating you've tethered, they can hit you with a LOT of fees.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24", 3.06GHz, 1TB HD, 4GB RAM; MBP 15" 2.53 GHz
This is not an Apple problem, it's an AT&T problem. Apple would probably be more than willing to enable tethering out of the box but AT&T is VERY, VERY overly cautious of it's network and they were freaking out when the 3G iphones launched because they weren't even sure the network would handle it. There's no way AT&T will allow tethering anytime soon unless you do it without their knowledge by jailbreaking your phone.

Just get an aircard. There's like $40 a month or something. :Smirk:

Can you elaborate on why you think this is an AT&T problem? I've had a BlackJack for two years now and used it extensively in '07 and '08 via tethering to surf the net in the States and Kuwait (tho' the Kuwait thing really hit the wallet hard). AT&T did nothing to prevent that and my data plan covered the browsing done thru the tethered laptop; the only extra charges came while in Kuwait.

Seems to me that the issue is Apple configuring the phone so it can be done. Getting the drivers/software to do it with my BlackJack was a breeze.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.