New Time Capsule, and new to Apple...Problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.5Ghz Penryn Processor, 4GB of RAM, 200 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, High Res LED 17" Screen
I have had my first Mac for over a week and I love it. I just set up my new Time Capsule on Monday and I have been experiencing some issues.

First of all, I had back up issues. I left my MBP to backup all day yesterday. It got to about 34GB out of 40GB and stopped. I left it overnight and it never advanced. It took forever to get that far wireless and I was very frustrated to find it did not work. Any thoughts? Also, as far as speed goes, would I be better to plug my laptop in directly to time capsule via ethernet cable as opposed to wireless transfer?

Second, I feel that the speed of the Time Capsule is not what it should be. For instance, right now I am downloading a drive so I can share a printer wirelessly, and it seems to be taking forever. I am getting about 20KB a second download speeds. I was playing around yesterday and bumped the multicast rate to 11mbps, but it doesn't seem to improve anything. It seems like my D link router was faster than this.

I don't think I have the TC set up for N only, because we have a 802.11g windows laptop in the house as well. I read somewhere that you can connect a router to the time capsule and broadcast 2 wireless networks, N and G. Is that true?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel 2GB RAM Leopard
If you are trying to use Time Machine in conjunction with your TC then yes, hardwire it. It would help. I've recently bought the TC as well and found it slow to begin with. I downloaded an update that made it work a lot faster. So if you haven't seen that update then search for new updates. I can't answer your second question.

OP
DarkKnight369
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP, 2.5Ghz Penryn Processor, 4GB of RAM, 200 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive, High Res LED 17" Screen
I hard wire it, and leave it through the night. It always gets to some point then stops and won't copy anymore.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz Intel 2GB RAM Leopard
That is odd. Well, i would recommend you go into the airport utility application, completely erase the TC, and then create a new setting for the base station. Check for updates and then try backing it up. I am not using TC as a backup so anything other than that I probably will not be able to help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.