Headphones question

C

CaptainStandish

Hey guys I have a simple question, wondering if somebody could help me out. I just got new headphones and I want to listen to my music through just them, but when I plug them in they aren't cancelling the music out from my speakers, instead they are outputting to BOTH the speakers and the headphones. Thanks in advance for the help guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
That's normal...
When you plug-in your headphones, only the internal speakers get turned off. But the line-out port (on which you connect external speakers) isn't turned off.
I know, it's annoying, but a normal way in audio electronics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
But if it's the internal speakers he means, maybe check to see if you're not plugging your phones into the line-out port by accident.

It would be very quiet though...

OP
C

CaptainStandish

It's the line in port. The headphone port on the powermac G5. How do I turn my externals off to listen just through my headphones? It kind of deafeats the purpose if everybody around me can hear the music also. Thanks for the help guys!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
CaptainStandish said:
It's the line in port. The headphone port on the powermac G5. How do I turn my externals off to listen just through my headphones? It kind of deafeats the purpose if everybody around me can hear the music also. Thanks for the help guys!

If you would connect the headphones to the line in port you wouldn't heare anything...as the name says, the line in is an INPUT port, means getting audio into the computer.

The only way to solve your problem really is to turn of the external speaker...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Or to turn down the ext. line out.

Go to utilities -> audio midi setup and there find the appropriate device (i.e. line-OUT port) and turn it down.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.