Mail program & Software Update will not launch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Power Mac G5, OS X 10.3.9
I am new here so I apologize if this question has been asked before. I tried to install Safari 3 onto my power mac G5 (OSX 10.3.9). I guess I just did not realize it was meant for Tiger and not Panther. Anyway, my mail program will not launch at all now. Safari won't work either and when I tried to do a software update in hopes it may solve something I realized that too does not launch. I have seen this a few other places and downloaded pacifist, tried to replace the mail program and also update it. To no avail. It simply will not open. I have also tried moving the com.apple.mail.pilst file to the desktop and unless I did something wrong, that did not work either.

Is there anything I can do other then re-install the OS?

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A reply to this would really be great.. anyone?

M

MacHeadCase

A faster reply would probably had already posted if this thread would have been posted in the correct forum. :)

*Moved thread to appropriate forum - Question on OS X Mail.app - has nothing to do with OS 9 or the Classic environment*

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alrighty then. So can anyone in here point me towards a solution?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
First try Repair Permissions in Disk Utility and if that does not work, repair from startup disc - assume you know the boot from install disk routine?

If that does not work you will have to do an erase and install to restore your system and check what you try to install first.

Reaction score
It sounds more like the problem is with safari instead of mail, no?

Try deleting safari, use appcleaner or something similar (appdelete or appzapper) and reinstalling the correct safari for panther.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.