Using AirPort Express with existing network

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Current setup:
Wireless 4 port 54g ADSL router
2 windows desktops - connected to the router by cat5 cable
1 windows desktop connected wirelessly (54g)
1 windows laptop connected wirelessly (54g)
1 macbook connected wirelessly (54g - but 'n' capable)

I'd like to gradually move my wireless 'estate' to n speeds and I'm looking at the Airport Express to do this.
As time goes on I'll upgrade the windows laptop and wireless desktop with 'n' adapters and shut down the 54g network.

In the interim is it possible to connect the new Airport Express to my router by cat5 cable and connect to it wirelessly with my Macbook at 'n' speeds (I shift a lot of files between my macbook and one of the wired desktops) and still maintain my existing 54g wireless network? Assuming I select different channels etc? Am I missing any obvious pitfalls?

Any pointers or wise words from existing users would be appreciated.

Reaction score
I just did this today. It worked great and was super easy to set up. No need to set up different channels. Just let the airport utility set it up. Put it in bridge mode though and you will be all set.

OP
mrplow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I just did this today. It worked great and was super easy to set up. No need to set up different channels. Just let the airport utility set it up. Put it in bridge mode though and you will be all set.

thanks that's exactly what I was hoping for.

Just one quick question do you mean putting the airport express in bridge mode or my existing router?

Reaction score
plug the cat 5 cable from one of the switch ports from your existing router into the express. Putting the express into bridge mode lets your existing router assign all the ip address and be the firewall. The express will be just a wireless access point.

OP
mrplow
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
plug the cat 5 cable from one of the switch ports from your existing router into the express. Putting the express into bridge mode lets your existing router assign all the ip address and be the firewall. The express will be just a wireless access point.

Brilliant, thanks for the replies.

I'm off to order now :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.