Migration Assistant

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.4gHz, iTouch, MBP 2.5gHz
We got an iMac in September and have been hopelessly bitten by the Apple bug. I just purchased a MBP today, and have a question. I assume that when I first start the new MBP it will ask me for my name, etc. which I think will set up a user account. If I use migration assistant to move over my user data, etc. will it set up a second account, or be smart enough to put the settings in the new one that I initially set up?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
We got an iMac in September and have been hopelessly bitten by the Apple bug. I just purchased a MBP today, and have a question. I assume that when I first start the new MBP it will ask me for my name, etc. which I think will set up a user account. If I use migration assistant to move over my user data, etc. will it set up a second account, or be smart enough to put the settings in the new one that I initially set up?

The migration assistant will move your existing account from the iMac into your new MBP, including all of its settings, and if you so choose, your Applications, documents and data.

I would recommend backing up your iMac onto an external hard drive using a program like SuperDuper! Then, use Migration assistant on the new Macbook Pro with the external backup drive connected, to migrate the data from that backup. It worked like a charm for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.