G5 Won't take in disks. Disk drive dead?

Reaction score
I purchased an Imac G5 1.8 and I went to remove the password the previous owner put on the computer and it wont take a disk in. Its like its dead. Anybody have any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5
Is there a cd already in it?
Sorry, but you have to ask sometimes... ;)

If you bought it used, it's a possibility.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yeah I am with Soulwar. What happens when you try to put in a CD/DVD? How far will it go in? If there is another CD in the drive hold down the mouse button when you reboot right after the startup sound and keep it down and see if it will eject.

OP
K
Reaction score
Well, I went ahead and opened it up and surprise surprise!! The SuperDrive wasn't even screwed in and had came unsnapped... I guess I will go and hunt down some screws tomorrow. Anybody have a clue as to what kind of screw I would need. It takes three... All were missing...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Well, I went ahead and opened it up and surprise surprise!! The SuperDrive wasn't even screwed in and had came unsnapped... I guess I will go and hunt down some screws tomorrow. Anybody have a clue as to what kind of screw I would need. It takes three... All were missing...

I take it you bought your iMac used? You say the drive was not screwed in? Was it plugged in still? I am wondering if maybe the person who sold it to you you had issues and took out the drive and just threw it back in there?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.