knocking sound....

Reaction score
i've got a macbook pro (2 ghz, intel core duo, 2 gig ram, 120 HD) for a little over a year now and lately I'm getting a knocking sound coming from the left side where the HD is.. sounds a bit like a fan hitting on something and comes and goes. no problems with the mac but sounds really scary and i'm worried my HD is gonna blow..! anyone knows anything?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5ghz Penryn MBP, 4 Gb Ram, 512mb 8600M GT, 250gb HDD & Black 30gb iPod, Black 16gb iPhone 3G
the HDD in my MBP died recently, once it died it made a clicking noise and wouldnt start up.
not sure if its the same problem but i would back up your drive ASAP or you may loose everyhing like i did.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
[2008 MacBook Pro 2.5Ghz,4GB Ram,250GB HD,512MB VIDEO] [16GB iPhone]
the HDD in my MBP died recently, once it died it made a clicking noise and wouldnt start up.
not sure if its the same problem but i would back up your drive ASAP or you may loose everyhing like i did.

any reasons why it died, how long have you had your mbp? hd death is my biggest fear.

Reaction score
i was told at the apple store that 1 in 12 new hard drives fail within the first year of use... no reason just spontaneous

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro | 2.8Ghz C2D | 4 Gigs Ram | 512 Meg 9600 GT | 320 Gig Hdd
Hard drives are one of the most worked items in your computer. The failure rate of hard drives as of late is VERY high. As we push them to higher and higher capacity, the failure rate goes up as well. If your drive is clicking, you NEED to back up your files now. It will be dead soon. This is not a maybe, it is a certainty.

I recommend to my clients that they never use a HDD longer than 2-3 years for home use, and no longer than 1 year for business use. After 1 year the chance of failure goes up almost 50%. It goes up nearly 60% every year afterwards.

Mind you those figures are from 5 years ago, but I would suspect the failure rate has only gone up since.

As for WHY they fail? Well there are several reasons. The controller card can often fail due to heat issues. The motor will also fail due to heat or excessive use. They spin at 5400 - 7200 Revolutions per minute in most cases. They can also die from sudden jolts. Dropping, or banging the drive while it is spinning will cause the heads (think needle on a record player) to slam into the platters (think shiny silver record) This causes damage to the surface of the disc and to the head both. Generally when you hear a clicking sound, this is the culprit. The clicking sound could also be the park motor being out of alignment due to controller failure.

There are several other possible reasons for failures, but those are the most common.

Randy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5ghz Penryn MBP, 4 Gb Ram, 512mb 8600M GT, 250gb HDD & Black 30gb iPod, Black 16gb iPhone 3G
any reasons why it died, how long have you had your mbp? hd death is my biggest fear.

something to do with the motor, it would no longer spin. my MBP is about 18 months old.

Reaction score
Just to reiterate what Viriiguy already said, a knocking or clicking hard drive means the drive dying, or more than likely already dead. You need to backup your data ASAP, as it's a miracle that the drive is still functioning at all.

This noise almost always comes from the heads of the drive slamming into the platters or side of the drive. Backup your data, if possible, and replace your hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.