MacBook Pro for a Designer

Reaction score
Ok, I'm no longer employed full-time so I need to start hacking away at freelance jobs. I can't stand using my wife's Gateway any more so I'm biting the bullet and getting a MacBook Pro (not enough cash for the Mac Pro and could really use the portability).

Here's my problem, money is tight having lost my job but I don't want to skimp on things to save a relatively small amount of money. I'm a graphic designer using the adobe creative suite products (no 3D and no video) so I want something fast enough for Photoshop and the likes, but again can't afford to go overboard.

So here are the options (going with the 15" model BTW):
New MacBook Pros either the 2.4 at $1994 or the 2.5 at $2494 is the extra $500 really worth it?

Previous model 2.4 could certainly do the job, but is saving $100 to $200 worth it?

Anywhere to get a good deal on refurbished ones? I don't trust used.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
The big difference between the 2.4 and the 2.5 is the graphics card goes from 256 to 512. i will let you decided if that is worth it to you.

here is the apple refurb site

they also have there old stock on sale here

Reaction score
Actually the biggest difference is not the Graphics card as the 8600m has been claimed by many computer techincians to not fully utilize all of the 512 mb memory but closely somewhere between 256 and 512.

The bigger difference is the L2 Cache which changes from 3mb to 6mb between the two Macbook Pro. 3mb is actually a downgrade from 4mb which was used in the last generation of Macbook Pros. L2 Cache is smaller faster memory that allows you to cut down on the time that it takes to open up and use programs that you use alot. It basically does it bests to memorize how the program runs and operates.

I think thats the bigger difference.

OP
stiney51
Reaction score
The bigger difference is the L2 Cache which changes from 3mb to 6mb between the two Macbook Pro. 3mb is actually a downgrade from 4mb which was used in the last generation of Macbook Pros.

So with that in mind would it make sense to look at the last generation if I don't want to swing the $2500 price for the 2.5? The last generation was acceptable to me (my old work laptop) in performance, but I just don't want to skimp for a small amount of savings. (Probably can get a last year model for only $200 cheaper than the $2000 new generation model)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
but then again you lose the multi touch trackpad and LED Backscreen if you do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHZ Macbook (black), OSX Leopard 10.5.5, 1GB Shuffle,4GB Nano,2GB nano 2nd generation
I would recommend getting the old 2.4GHz but upgrading the RAM since adobe applications require heaps of ram. I reckon the 256MB Graphics card is good enough.

Reaction score
I disagree. The greater processing power of the Penryn makes up for the 1MB less cache. Look at the MacWorld benchmarks. Penryn uses less battery power as well, should run slightly cooler than the Merom, and the 200 GB drive is roomier than the 160 GB drive of the older 2.4 ghz. Add in multi-touch, which is useful, the the new 2.4 is a better deal in my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" (early 2008, pre-unibody), 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.
I agree with refusryker. After seeing the Macworld benchmarks, I'm not worried about the 1 MB loss in L2 cache.

I'm still wondering about the battery life of the Penryn 2.4 vs. the 2.5 though...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.