Software related Apparent Display Crack

Reaction score
Hi guys I have a 2.4ghz 15" Macbook pro. It started a few days ago. I have only used it like 3 or 4 times since then. Well, I just started it a few mintues ago, and when I started it, the botto, 2/3 of the screen looked cracked. But it wasnt colors. It was just shades of grey and black. But the whole 2/3 was covered, not just lines or areas. But it cleared up after a restart after in entered the desktop screen. Could an app be causing this? Or leopard? Any questions you guys have to help me out, please ask. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hi guys I have a 2.4ghz 15" Macbook pro. It started a few days ago. I have only used it like 3 or 4 times since then. Well, I just started it a few mintues ago, and when I started it, the botto, 2/3 of the screen looked cracked. But it wasnt colors. It was just shades of grey and black. But the whole 2/3 was covered, not just lines or areas. But it cleared up after a restart after in entered the desktop screen. Could an app be causing this? Or leopard? Any questions you guys have to help me out, please ask. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

It might just be a defective LCD or an overheating video card. Any chance you can snap a picture of it the next time it happens? A picture is worth a thousand words of course...

You might also want to run the Apple Hardware Test and see if that finds anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
AS CWA advises AHT is the go as it tests memory, logic board, graphics and pixels. Should be on one of your install DVD's.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hey guys. So an update. The apple hardware manager could not find anything. So as I was loading it up this morning (I am typing on it right now and its fine), I was able to get a few quick pictures with my iphone. Hopefully this will help you guys help me. The pictures are attached. Thanks again guys!

IMG_0071.JPG

IMG_0072.JPG

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0075.JPG

IMG_0076.JPG

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey guys. So an update. The apple hardware manager could not find anything. So as I was loading it up this morning (I am typing on it right now and its fine), I was able to get a few quick pictures with my iphone. Hopefully this will help you guys help me. The pictures are attached. Thanks again guys!

During the time that the problem occurs, if you move your pointer up to the "good" part of the screen, does it actually move around? Can you manipulate the display, or is it apparently frozen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
That looks like a faulty display, to me. Assuming the display isnt frozen as cwa suggests, try applying a bit of pressure around the edge of the display in case it's a loose joint or something.

OP
S
Reaction score
The display is not frozen. I can see the mouse move when the happens. However as I have been using this for the past hour or so, I have noticed that sometimes when display angle, it starts to happen but has some transparency and then goes away. So it probably is a faulty display. I bought this back in July 07. I purchased the extended apple care. Is the faulty display covered under apple care?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The display is not frozen. I can see the mouse move when the happens. However as I have been using this for the past hour or so, I have noticed that sometimes when display angle, it starts to happen but has some transparency and then goes away. So it probably is a faulty display. I bought this back in July 07. I purchased the extended apple care. Is the faulty display covered under apple care?

This looks like a faulty flex cable to me. We recently encountered another post, with symptoms very similar to yours and that is indeed what the problem was. Take the pictures to your Apple Store and ask them to replace/check the flex cable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.