iWeb question

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered before but I couldn't find it.

Can anyone explain to me how I use iWeb to design pages that I can then use for a website other than my .mac account. I already use iWeb for my mac webspace and click publish to upload. But I also want to use it for a separate web domain.

I'm a total newbie in the world of web design (hence avoiding HTML).

Any ideas?

Thanks

Shark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.3 GHz PowerPC G5, 1GB SDRAM, 22" HiRes Monitor
Shark,

All you have to do is publish your site to a folder on your hard drive, then use any FTP software (like Fetch) to upload your iWeb-made pages from said folder onto a non .Mac domain. Be advised that some of the automated features within iWeb may not function in a non .Mac environment. Hope this helps.

LM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
File-->Publish to a Folder...

That will save all of your iWeb work to a folder of your choosing. Then you use an FTP program to upload that to your web space. Cyberduck is donation ware.

The problem with this method is that the whole iWeb content is saved to the folder. So only if you know what you changed can you upload just part of the content. Otherwise the confusion of not knowing will force you to upload the entire content. This is one of the advantages of using the .Mac service; it uploads only the changes.

I've used iWeb a little and just keep track of which project or project pages I edit, perform a save to folder, and then upload only my changes from a project of page perspective.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks so much guys. Both great advice and written within a minute of each other. Are you psychic?

I have Fetch and Cyberduck so will see which one I'm more comfortable with.

I also have CSS Edit - so perhaps I can use that once I've uploaded some content to tweak things.

Thanks again,

Shark

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.