Removing previous Mac OS System Folder

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD.
I have a Mac G4 which is currently running Mac 10.4. When I go the startup disk, its showing Mac OS 9 as one of the System Folders. Can I remove this system Folder since I have Mac 10.4 running? If so how, I am currently running low on space and need to make some room.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Place your OS 9 System Folder, OS 9 Preferences and OS 9 Applications all in the trash and empty. If you have to do a clean install at any stage just remember not to select OS 9 drivers.

OP
NeoGreen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" White MacBook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD.
I attempted to do that and it gave me an error message stating that this was a system folder and could not be deleted. I am currently running Mac OS 10.4 on this machine and when I go to the Startup Disk I have two folders one is 10.4 System Folder and the other is Mac OS 9 System Folder. Should I remove them from the Start up Disk program/prompt?

Reaction score
Well if you're not afraid of the terminal, I would suggest following this:

Remove Classic cleanly

The terminal's not so bad. And you can copy and paste the lines into terminal to be sure you don't make mistakes.

Or in the comments are a lot of other suggestions too. Like putting the os 9 folder in the trash rebooting and then you should be able to empty the trash.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.