Did iTunes ever play/convert WMA files?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I have some music that has always been in WMA format since I ripped it from my CDs (ripped them before switching to Mac). I know for sure at one time I had them in my iTunes library, but now of course I can't import them in their current format.

So did iTunes used to play/convert the files? Was it because I was using iTunes on my PC and that version will play/convert them? I know the point is moot since I can just re-rip the CDs, but it's a little mystery I can't figure out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
You used to be able to see them, and 'convert selection' to AAC/MP3. However, I don't think they could be played.

I would strongly recommend you re-rip the CDs anyway, becaise converting from one compressed lossy format to another, results in a very poor audio file.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I'm definitely not paying for a conversion program, so I'll definitely re-rip them anyway. I just couldn't figure out why I didn't have to in the past. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm definitely not paying for a conversion program, so I'll definitely re-rip them anyway.

No, iTunes used to offer the option to view and convert them (for free) to AAC, at least within Windows.

But yes, re-rip them... now that iPods have so much more storage, I am tempted to re-rip mine. My entire CD collection is ripped at 192kbps MP3. I am tempted to re-rip the whole lot @ 320kbps.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
No, iTunes used to offer the option to view and convert them (for free) to AAC, at least within Windows.

But yes, re-rip them... now that iPods have so much more storage, I am tempted to re-rip mine. My entire CD collection is ripped at 192kbps MP3. I am tempted to re-rip the whole lot @ 320kbps.

Same here - but the thought of having to go back through 250+ CDs is unappealing. A friend of mine just recently used a ripping service to do it, and they returned everything on just a few DVDs. But in the process, they ripped the entire library in both 320kbps MP3 and AAC lossless and included the cover art.

I'll have to ask him how much he paid, but I know he had an extensive collection, likely much larger than my own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Same here - but the thought of having to go back through 250+ CDs is unappealing. A friend of mine just recently used a ripping service to do it, and they returned everything on just a few DVDs. But in the process, they ripped the entire library in both 320kbps MP3 and AAC lossless and included the cover art.

I'll have to ask him how much he paid, but I know he had an extensive collection, likely much larger than my own.

I'd be interested to know! I've fairly recently started using earbuds that are definately good enough to tell the difference. 192kbps is still pretty good, but given the choice I'd now go for a higher bit-rate.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'd be interested to know! I've fairly recently started using earbuds that are definately good enough to tell the difference. 192kbps is still pretty good, but given the choice I'd now go for a higher bit-rate.

He's one of my coworkers who happened to have called in sick this morning. I will ask him when he returns and update the thread with both the name of the service and the pricing.

Reaction score
With hard disk space so cheap, I no longer bother with MP3, though I still have a few thousand audio files in that format.

I use AAC, FLAC or APE - I can convert them to MP3, if I need to.

If MP3 is important to you, consider using VBR instead of CBR with good encoder (e.g. LAME etc).

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
There used to be a Plugin for Quicktime that allowed iTunes to play WMA. When apple went to a newer version of Quicktime, it broke the Plugin and am not sure if it was ever fixed. I lost touch with the programmer. Will see what I can find. I used to use it before Quicktime 7 came along. This was on my Macs with OSX Panther.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With hard disk space so cheap, I no longer bother with MP3, though I still have a few thousand audio files in that format.

I use AAC, FLAC or APE - I can convert them to MP3, if I need to.

If MP3 is important to you, consider using VBR instead of CBR with good encoder (e.g. LAME etc).

When I re-encode, I'll use AAC 320kbps - however whilst disk space is no longer the issue, battery life is. Really huge files will drain the battery a lot quicker. Those 20 - 30 hours could end up being less than half that.

Reaction score
I should have added Apple Lossless to my earlier list.

I have not had a problem with battery drain - but I have not played the music for that long to make it problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.