won't work... hardly at all.

Reaction score
I gotta tell ya, not too impressed with Apple lately.

I'm running late for class, so I'll make this short and go into more detail later, I just want to see if there's an easy answer I'm missing.

Last night, after letting my MacBook rest after using it during the day, I go to turn it on again and it won't let me sign on into my account. After restarting, now the only thing that comes up is that Apple symbol and the loading circle, and I noticed the power light on the bottom right turns on, then quickly turns off.

I know next to nothing about how to actually operate/diagnose/fix computers, so any and all suggestions are welcome. I bought it way back in November of '07, and it's already acting up.

Also, the official Apple discussion forums are down... coincidence? Or master plan to frustrate me?

Reaction score
those symptoms sound strikingly similar to what happened to me when my hard drive crashed... the computer didn't turn off though... it just wouldnt start up... i had to say bye bye to all my files

OP
M
Reaction score
those symptoms sound strikingly similar to what happened to me when my hard drive crashed... the computer didn't turn off though... it just wouldnt start up... i had to say bye bye to all my files

So what exactly causes crashes? And what is there to do about them? Luckily, I am still under warranty. Thanks for your response.

Reaction score
sorry... maybe crash was a wrong word choice... what i meant to say is that my hard drive failed... i was told at the apple store that 1 out of every 12 new hard drives fail for no apparent reason within the first year... those are just the statistics... the only solution was to get my hard drive replaced, which they did under warranty

so if you can turn on your computer but it won't let you log in and mac os doesn't start up...then it might be something to look at

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Also, the official Apple discussion forums are down... coincidence? Or master plan to frustrate me?

It's well known that Apple's spy satellites watch out for failing Macs and as soon as they find one, they close down the discussion forums.

All sarcasm aside, this is almost certainly a hardware issue and you should return the machine to a store ASAP. It's very unlucky that this happened.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
My MacBook Pro's hard drive failed inside the first 3 months I owned it...lost a TON of digital pictures I hadn't backed up yet. Apple Store/Genius Bar replaced the drive without a hassle, and offered to try data recovery/transfer for free...though it was a "header crash" failure, the worst kind...nothing is/was recoverable without paying ~$3000 to a data recovery service.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
One of the restore discs has a hardware test app. Boot from the disc and see if you can confirm the failing HD.

With all of these failing HD threads you're making me worry enough to go spend another $150 and buy a new HD for backup. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive
One of the restore discs has a hardware test app. Boot from the disc and see if you can confirm the failing HD.

With all of these failing HD threads you're making me worry enough to go spend another $150 and buy a new HD for backup. :(

You don't have a backup drive??? Shame!

Reaction score
i was told at the apple store that 1 out of every 12 new hard drives fail for no apparent reason within the first year

Wow, that sounds like a lot. I guess I've been pretty lucky so far. ::knock on wood::

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

I know but I can't comment and jinx my situation.
I probably just did by saying that! :Oops: I've been using computers for 10 years now and I've never had a HD fail on me. Next month I will see if I can fit a matching 750GB HD into my budget. Then, the question is, do I use Time Machine or RAID 1?

Reaction score

I don't either. No backing up whatsoever takes place here, unless I copy some music to a flash drive, but I don't think that counts as backing up.

I doubt the HD on my PowerMac will go bad on me before I get something else.
I just trust my Mac. :Smirk:
Although I would probably get some sort of drive if I could afford it.

Reaction score
I don't understand all the hard drive failure threads here LOL. I am a professional IT tech and it sounds to me like you tried to install windows xp or vista through boot camp and it reformatted the hard drive. Good news though, insert your operating disc and reinstall your OS X and you will be back in business (or learning). If your hard drive actually crashed, a symbol would appear on the computer with a picture of a hard drive and an "X" through it. If it shows an icon with a folder and a question mark, you accidentally reformatted your hard drive. Actually Windows reformatted the hard drive, see its a poopy operating system. When you insert the install disc, turn off your computer, and than turn it back on while HOLDING DOWN teh option key. When the cd icon appears, click on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
Wow, that sounds like a lot. I guess I've been pretty lucky so far. ::knock on wood::

Yeah, that definitely sounds like a lot. Anyone know if that stat is for Macs specifically or market-wide? If its Apple specific sounds like someone should look into better HDD's

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
turn it back on while HOLDING DOWN teh option key. When the cd icon appears, click on it.

or if you hold down "teh" 'c' key while it is booting, it will boot directly to the cd, and you can bypass the boot menu.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.