BRAND NEW to iPhone - a few questions (PC sync, task list, notes, etc.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, MacBook Air, iPhone 3G...specs in signature
Guys please bare with me as I am a brand new iPhone user- less than 24 hours old. I have been a mac user for only 6 months and I'm loving every minute of its reliability, simplicity and performance. I've been pondering an iPhone for a long time now and just decided to bite the bullet last night.

First let me explain that I am a 50% corporate user and 50% personal user of this iPhone. I am the IT Manager in a land of PC's and Windooooze machines (not by choice). I am forced to sync my iPhone with my work PC (YUCK) and not my Macbook because my Outlook calendar, tasks, notes and contacts are ESSENTIAL to my use of this phone on the corporate level. I pondered sync'ing my PC with my Macbook regularly but that's just too much hassle and I don't know how soon I can get my corporate workstation switched to and Mac PRO so this will have to do. You should also know that I have been a LOOOOONG time crackberry user so the ease of Outlook sync has me stuck. I do have Entourage on my Macbook so I'm completely open to suggestions as to work the above scenario...

So now to my questions...
Like the Blackberry I was hoping to find a Task List that would sync with Outlook.

I was hoping for (and maybe I'm just missing it) an Address Book icon that will allow me to access directly from the home screen.

I haven't been able to get Outlook "Notes" to sync with iPhone "Notes", any suggestions?

Is there a program similar to Keychain Access available? I'm really just looking to 'store' my passwords securely. As an IT Manager/Sys Admin I have many, many passwords that change regularly and need to store them securely.

Lastly, any websites, tutorials or links you can provide me for further education would be MUCH, MUCH appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4Ghz, BlackBook 2.0 Ghz, iBook G4, 8Gb iPhone, AppleTV, 80 Gb Video iPod 3 Nanos and 1 Shuffle
Lot's of questions there. If you'll accept answers from a Buckeye I'll try to help.;)

Can't sync notes or tasks with outlook. I am assuming you are connecting to an Exchange server. However this functionality will soon change. You may want to check out the video of Job's presentation of the iPhone SDK. I didn't catch all of it but from what I've been told he speaks to some enterprise functionality that will soon be coming.

As for a keychain and contact list I think the only way to accomidate this is to jail break your iPhone and download third party apps.

In some ways going from a BB to an iPhone is a lot like going from windows to OSX. It's just a different way to accomplish your tasks. For example, instead of using Outlooks tasks would you be able to use a web app instead? There are plenty out there.

If you browse through the iPhone web apps on the apple site you may find somethings that will work well for you.

OP
Getwild2
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro, MacBook Air, iPhone 3G...specs in signature
Lot's of questions there. If you'll accept answers from a Buckeye I'll try to help.;)

Can't sync notes or tasks with outlook. I am assuming you are connecting to an Exchange server. However this functionality will soon change. You may want to check out the video of Job's presentation of the iPhone SDK. I didn't catch all of it but from what I've been told he speaks to some enterprise functionality that will soon be coming.

As for a keychain and contact list I think the only way to accomidate this is to jail break your iPhone and download third party apps.

In some ways going from a BB to an iPhone is a lot like going from windows to OSX. It's just a different way to accomplish your tasks. For example, instead of using Outlooks tasks would you be able to use a web app instead? There are plenty out there.

If you browse through the iPhone web apps on the apple site you may find somethings that will work well for you.
Oh I don't mind taking advice from a Buckeye as long as he doesn't try to get me to apply some OSU wallpaper or something to my iPhone. LOL, j/k

I have done a lot of research since I first posted this and ended up jailbreaking my phone, thus downloading tons of third-party apps. I found a nice task list called ToDoList2 that I like. Its a foreign app but allows the use of alarms, etc., so it should do until iPhone 2.0 comes out.

I've been reading some about this iPhone 2.0 and it seems that it will have Exchange support, which will indeed help me with the task list and notes issues. For now if I need to I can create a task in my iPhone while I'm out and about, then create it again in Outlook to manage it with my other tasks/work queue. I can live without notes because I don't have vital info in my Outlook notes.

You're right though in that going from a BB to an iPhone is like going from a Windoze PC to a mac, since I've recently made the switch (6 mos ago) it is a pretty fresh transition. I love it though, and so far I'm loving this iPhone. I've already almost got 2 converts to iPhone and I have 3 successful converts to macbook and one of those has converted another on his own. Its like a plague.

Thanks for your help!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.