Slow iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
I've got my aluminum 2.4GHz iMac since late last year, and its still running on 1GB memory now. Initially, it used to run at lightning fast speed, but now, since a few weeks ago, it's starting to crawl and started slowing down A LOT. Start-up time is much longer than before, and shutting down/restarting the computer is taking forever. Like 1minute or something, much longer as compared to when I shut down/restart my iMac in Windows OS. Also, when using Safari, moments where the spinning rainbow ball turns up is much more frequent and it spins for pretty long, and even when not using Safari, it is loading stuff slowly and prone to hanging(as in the spinning rainbow ball turns up and lasts for a long time). I've been regularly maintaining my iMac by using Onyx but it doesn't seem to help.

Is this common? Since I still have plenty of free space left in my Mac, or does it means its time to get a more RAM(although I only typically run Safari, MSN Messenger and Transmission at the same time and that's it).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 3.06GHz 4Gb RAM, 1Tb HDD; 16Gb iPhone (white); Aluminium MacBook, 2.4Ghz, 4Gb, 500 Gb HDD
I'm sure others will advise further but I'm sure more RAM will help...at least double to 2Gb for starters.:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
Might I also recommend a program named Onyx, cleans the caches within OS X....seems to give my Mac farm a shot when run once in a while......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I've got my aluminum 2.4GHz iMac since late last year, and its still running on 1GB memory now. Initially, it used to run at lightning fast speed, but now, since a few weeks ago, it's starting to crawl and started slowing down A LOT. Start-up time is much longer than before, and shutting down/restarting the computer is taking forever. .....Since I still have plenty of free space left in my Mac, or does it means its time to get a more RAM(although I only typically run Safari, MSN Messenger and Transmission at the same time and that's it).
If that is all you typically run app-wise, then more RAM won't really solve anything. You likely aren't using all of your current RAM, so adding more won't make a difference. You can check your system RAM usage in the Activity Monitor. If you see a large percentage of blue and green, then you won't really benefit from more RAM.
Instead, try the steps listed in this thread.
Those simple things usually clear up most Mac maladies.
I would also recommend keeping your Mac running. Shutting down is fairly unnecessary, plus you are not letting OS X run its daily, weekly and monthly maintenance on its own. Yes, there are 3rd party tools that will do this as well, but you may see some improvement by simply allowing the computer to remain powered on.
Might I also recommend a program named Onyx, cleans the caches within OS X....seems to give my Mac farm a shot when run once in a while......
You could, but....
I've been regularly maintaining my iMac by using Onyx but it doesn't seem to help.
;):D

Reaction score
Don't feel bad, I have a brand new 2 week old iMac 3.06 GHz 2009 Model, and I REALLY hate it more than I can explain. Just past the return date DARN!!!!!! It is so slow at rendering in final cut pro I can't even explain it. I am one step away from throwing this thing out my 4th floor window. I am going to get a Mac Pro and so should you.

Reaction score
Intel iMac slow down

I read though a number of forums when my late 2006 intel iMac slowed down and determined my hard drive was slowly dying.

Everything ran slow, internet, all programs, moving files, etc.

Before replacing my hard drive I:

1) Cleaned up multiple time with Onyx.
2) Did the archive and install with the Tiger OS (twice).
3) Archived my mail
4) Took all pictures off the hard drive (I was using ~100Gb on a 250Gb HD)
5) Cleaned up the desk top
6) Did a memory test with rember.
7) Did the hardware diagnostic on the install disk.
8) Did a complete OS re-install
9) Read more and scratched my head because nothing seemed to help.
10) Ordered a new WD 500Gb from Amazon and crossed my fingers.

Nothing indicated a problem other than the really slow processing of everything I did.

Installed the hard drive thanks to some helpful tutorials online.

Installed the Tiger OS

Ran the update program to make sure I had the latest OS release.

Boom.... Works like new and faster than before (7200rpm HD)

Notes: Every time I re-installed the OS it took a very long time. I means hours (8 - 48 hours). When installing the OS on the new hard drive it took maybe one hour to install and update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.