Warped lid

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
Has anyone taken their's back because the lid has warped?

If so what was Apples response?

My lid has warped after only 5 months, and i was thinking of returning it,
but if it is just one of those things i'll leave it as i don't really want to be without it.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
well...mine is sort of...the left side when closed almost touches the bottom...but the right side stays about 2 mm off the bottom....i don't think there's much that can be done about it...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15,4" MBP 2,4 GHz, 2MB RAM, 250 GB HDD (Seagate aftermarket), Leopard, Logitech V470.
Mine is warped on both ends. But as it doesnt create any problems, I'll probably take it back just before warranty runs out in I dont get a new one until then ...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Mine is open about 2mm on the right side and flush on the left. It has been this way from new. I've read a lot of members with the same "problem" and believe it to be normal.

If you do address it with Apple, please share the remedy (if any).

Reaction score
Mines the same way, I think its how its made, also how it is clipped to the base. I would worry about it if the lid does not close what so ever or it messes with the screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
Mine is open about 2mm on the right side and flush on the left. It has been this way from new. I've read a lot of members with the same "problem" and believe it to be normal.

Got the same problem here.

I agree keep us posted on what Apple says/does.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Spoke to Apple and they told me to contact my nearest service provider.

I phoned them and they say if there is no visible damage then it would probably be exchanged.

Gonna try and get into them in a couple of days as they only open Mon - Fri 09-00 17-00.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Mine has a very small gap on the left, but it wasn't always that way. I think it was because I had gotten into the habit of lifting the screen on one side only and it warped it a little. Even if it was that way from the beginning, it's nothing I would return mine over since nobody will ever notice it. (since whenever I have it out, it open and being used)

Reaction score
i am also experiencing the same problem with my lid and one of the hinges on my screen is also loose, so the screen is the most stable. I was wondering if they would cover this as well...and if anyone else has experienced the same problem with the hinge...?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
[2008 MacBook Pro 2.5Ghz,4GB Ram,250GB HD,512MB VIDEO] [16GB iPhone]
whats a warped lid?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
whats a warped lid?

When the lid is closed on the laptop, it doesn't sit flush from side to side against the palm rest. For example, mine has a gap of about 2mm on the right side, while it sits flush on the left side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
When the lid is closed on the laptop, it doesn't sit flush from side to side against the palm rest. For example, mine has a gap of about 2mm on the right side, while it sits flush on the left side.

That is the exactly same problem with mine, Sounds like a defect in the way the assemble them or the way they stamp the metal.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is the exactly same problem with mine, Sounds like a defect in the way the assemble them or the way they stamp the metal.

Having taken a level/straight edge to it, I can tell that's not the problem. I believe it to be uneven tension along the horizontal plane of the hinge. I'd imagine that the remedy would be to replace the hinge assembly, but being that these things are built to such tight tolerances, I'm wondering if there's a hinge made that can maintain precise, even tension across the length of it at that angle. My guess is that even if it were perfect when new, it would eventually develop the same sort of problem. I don't think you notice it with lesser, plastic laptops because the gaps aren't as fine, nor are the joints so tight.

Either way, it's so minor and purely cosmetic that it doesn't bother me that much. My old MBP had a gap on both sides, but it was still uneven. So, one of the things I looked for specifically was to see if this one had it from new - and I can tell you that it was this way when I removed it from the box.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
haha...seems to be a pretty common issue...i got it like this too...would have been cooler without it for sure...but its not important enough to be of any concern...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
...because I had gotten into the habit of lifting the screen on one side only and it warped it a little.

That's what I figured might be the case if a lot of people are having this issue but if it's shipping this way, CWA is most likely right.

Reaction score
Mine is the same way and its only 3 weeks old its just how it was put together we should remind our selves that yes there expensive but there made in a factory somewhere im guessing china even if made in the usa there manufactured quickly, you might get the same thing owning a dell, or other laptop, I say as long as it doesnt hurt the machine, than it will be fine. because i almost guarantee the next macbook pro you get might have the same thing and or something else wrong with it, then it just comes a vicious cycle of returning it till you get the one that is flawless, might not happen.

Reaction score

Besides the small gap...how are you enjoying your new MBP cwa?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Besides the small gap...how are you enjoying your new MBP cwa?

I'm very pleased with it, thanks. I don't want to take this thread off-track though, so see my review here.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Latest update.

Apparently the Pro models all do this.

It's because of the aluminium case and the fact that when you open the lid you always do it from one side or the other.

It can be straightened out but will warp again.

Reaction score
New MBP

Yes, I have the same problem with my newly arrived MBP 17. As I am still within the 14-day period, (well, literally received it a minute ago!!! excited until I opened and inspect the unit). I called Apple and they were more than happy to send me a replacement without question. (still waiting for confirmation email though).

Problem:

1. One of the magnetic hooks didn't retract back to the screen fully and had to be pushed in manually (faulty spring).

2. Warped screen lid, 3mm - 4mm on the left side of the screen.

Haven't even turned on the unit so I can't tell if there's any other problem but decided to wait for my replacement unit.

However, that didn't happen to my Aluminium PB 15. After 3 years of service, it's still pretty straight, may be I always open it from the centre.

I just hope my replacement unit is ok. In fact, a little warp doesn't bother me and if it wasn't the magnetic hook, I would have kept it. I now if I don't get it replace now, the hook will not retract at all after a few months, that happened to my older Aluminium PB 12 as the spring simply broke.

Hope it's all fine. Like any apple products, they are just lovable but in the same time, hate the imperfections... but beauty always not perfect right, just have to live with it. As long as it functions, that's the main thing :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.