WiFi connected to router, but not to internet

Reaction score
Yay! I don't know why it worked, but it did. I ran through Apple's protocol to fix it and nothing happened. I had just one DNS listed, so I deleted it. It came back. Deleted again, and this time a typed in one from my MacBook that was connected to the network. It worked! Thanks.

I have O2 broadband, I have the same issue. After entering the wifi password, I clicked on the blue button to see the IP address. It was starting with 169.xxx.xxx.xxx and no DNS. It should be 192.xxx.xxx.xxx

I looged into the Router "http://192.168.1.254/" in case of O2 and may differ by different providers. I saw the encryption password was different to what I typed in IPhone. What I saw in IE was the original password came with my router. I hooked the problem was, Once a laptop or other devices once connected to the router and if the router is reseted to factory settings, it connects to wifi without changing the password again. where we try the Iphone with the password which was once configured for the router. So the wifi is connected but not the internet. After changing the password, I got the internet immed. I also changed the cannel in the configuration page, but I beleive it does not matter.

Anybdy having this problem can check your password is correct. My Iphone connects to the Wifi even I type the old password once configured to the router and resetted to factory settings. If this is your case, This will solve the problem.

Reaction score
worked for me

I had the same problem, also only at home. My network is slightly more complicated though. I have a Netgear wireless router which connects to one pc and a belkin G wireless router. The belkin connects to another pc and an xbox 360. i have the wireless turned off on the belkin because I though it might be messing with my ipod but that had no effect. I have had problems with it in the past (one port doesn't work, wont let me turn off dhcp, wifi works sporadically). This fix worked with no problem. Haven't tried to turn the wifi off on my ipod yet though. Have had a little lag on the xbox but nothing too serious. It does seem wierd to me that it would be an the ipod's issue but you guys would probably know better than I would.

Reaction score
Simple iphone fix

Yay! I don't know why it worked, but it did. I ran through Apple's protocol to fix it and nothing happened. I had just one DNS listed, so I deleted it. It came back. Deleted again, and this time a typed in one from my MacBook that was connected to the network. It worked! Thanks.

SOLUTION:
1) Forget network encoded or set at iphone settings to default(reset network settings)
2)Reset your router for 1 minute and boot it up again. Problem solved with my 3 Iphone 4s 32gb , 16gb and 8gb fixed all of mine in no time and detected wireless!!!

Reaction score
On similar topic

I found a solution!!

Yep, that solved my problem too. So a precise walkthrough for the solution:

1) Go to settings, Wi-Fi, choose the network and hit the blue button. Touch "Forget this network" and confirm.
2) Now go back into Wi-Fi settings, choose the network again and join it.
3) Now hit the blue button and go down to the DNS line. Select the line and drag your finger to the left until you find the first DNS entry (entries are separated by commas). In my case, for instance, the first entry was 192.168.1.99--a local address on my network.
4) Use the backspace button to delete the first DNS entry.
5) Touch "Wi-Fi Networks" to go back.
6) Open safari and try visiting a site by URL: Apple for example.

This worked for both my iPhone 3G and iPod Touch. There was no need to reboot the router, reset my network settings, or anything like that--just follow the steps above.

Incidentally, the DNS address I had to delete--192.168.1.99--was actually a static address on my network that I had allocated to my printer. So it was a very bad guess on the iPhone/iPod Touch's part as to where the local DNS server would be. But someone else's comment rings true, that the bug seems to be in the iPhone OS and has to do with falling back to the next DNS address if the first one fails--or falling back in a timely manner.

Yeah, you're welcome, Apple engineers. We're happy to do your work for you and pay for it too!

Hi this did not solve my problem but made me click :)
my computer sometimes has problems with dns so i use the google dns 8.8.8.8. and never had a problem and phones worked fine too, then windows chucked up an error with do you want to apply dhcp fix, natural i click ok and net worked fine, but made my two iphones not work and yet my laptop still worked, i have a d-link btw. anyway this really puzzled my i kept rebooting router restarting and such checking firewalls etc. etc. turns out i followed your method and just backspaced the dns and put 8.8.8.8. worked sweet, im sure there is a much more technical side to it, im happy to just have it running with a fast server thank you for your post i hope mine will help somebody too!

p.s. i recently upgraded os on phone and installed a printer, and connected the laptop, so lots of troublshooting, funny thou laptop had dns as 8.8.8.8. from before so i forgot ;p but i dont know why the phones worked up until windows made me apply the fix on it's own. all good yay :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.