iBook or PowerBook 12 inch? I need help!

V

vii_haven

iBook 12 inch
1.2GHz PowerPC G4
512K L2 cache @ 1.2GHz
12-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
256MB DDR266 SDRAM
80GB Ultra ATA drive
Combo Drive
ATI Mobility Radeon 9200
32MB DDR video memory
AirPort Extreme built-in
PLUS built in bluetooth option

S$ 2,374.50

PowerBook 12 inch
12.1-inch TFT Display
1024x768 resolution
1.33GHz PowerPC G4
256MB DDR333 SDRAM
80GB Ultra ATA/100
NVIDIA GeForce FX
Go5200 (64MB DDR)
Full size keyboard
10/100BASE-T Ethernet
FireWire 400
AirPort Extreme built-in
Mini-DVI out

S$ 3,324.25

After customisation, the cost of both the above has about a $1000 difference. I have two questions that i hope more experienced mac users can help me with as i'm thinking of getting either one of the above.

1. Am i right to say that if i get the PowerBook, i'd be paying $1000 more ONLY for
a. the ability to extend my desktop onto an external monitor and not just replicate my desktop.
b. not having a L2 cache.

2. What is the L2 cache for? Will it be betta to have or not to have?

To all the designers out there,
3. Is there enough screen space on the 1024 by 768 screen for applications such as Photoshop/Illustrator/Dreamweaver/InDesign?

4. Will Photoshop/Illustrator/Dreamweaver/InDesign run slower on the iBook as compared to the PowerBook?

5. Which one would be a more worthy buy? I'm going to use it for graphic design and maybe a little sound stuff.

6. Would it be sound to buy the 12inch model (of either one) for the portability and an external (BIGGER) monitor to do work at home?

Thanks so much for your help!! =)

OP
T

tariq

1. no you're wrong. you get faster RAM and CPU with the PowerBook along with a better graphics card, better keyboard, and Core Image compatiblity which will be in Tiger (iBook's video card is not compatible).

2. I don't know the technical details, use google if you really want to know, but it just makes for faster processing since there is a cache to access information that is used repeatedly.

3. It's enough to do some work, but you'll eventually feel cramped with all the toolbars and limited workspace.

4. Yes it will, but you may not notice it since you may not use it intensively enough, or the difference may be minimal.

5. Depends, if you're doing light graphic design work and don't need a whole lot of power, go with the iBook. While the PowerBook's speed isn't as big of a difference now, it still is the faster notebook and designed for power users in mind. Also like I mentioned earlier, the PowerBook will be able to take advantage of Core Image in Tiger.

6. Yes that's what alot of people do. Since the 12" is the smallest and lightest notebook, it makes for great portability and if the need for a larger workspace (for graphic work) is required, connect it up to the external monitor.

Whichever notebook you choose, make sure to get some more RAM from crucial or other suppliers (not Apple). A stick of 512MB will suit you well or if you can find some good prices, go with 1GB.

Hope that helps.

OP
D

dodjy001

vii_haven said:
4. Will Photoshop/Illustrator/Dreamweaver/InDesign run slower on the iBook as compared to the PowerBook?

if your going too run these sort of programs upgrade the ram aswell

with 256 it will struggle a bit.

personally I just put my order in for the new 12 inch ibook and leaving it stock

would love the pb but the specs on it along with the price it cannot be justified for word processing and spread sheets at uni

plus i have the g5 as a work horse to do all the video music photo work :bushman:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.