Random kernal panic after 'erase and install'

_sm

Reaction score
Not sure if I'm posting in the correct place, couldn't decide between OS or Hardware - Sorry.

I recently purchased a used iBook G3 (without Airport) to use solely as a web browser and to store photos on to show on-the-go.

As it does not have an airport card installed (and due to lack of money currently) I looked into using either of 2 wireless USB adapter I have, the first, a Belkin wasn't compatible but the second, a Netgear WG111v2 recently had Mac compatible drivers released for it. So with great joy I installed the drivers and successfully connected to the internet. Then within half an hour of browsing I encountered problems. It began with the iBook hanging and becoming unresponsive for 5+ min's, meaning I had to hold the power button and restart. 10 min's later the same happens again, only this time I'm presented with the Grey box telling me to restart. So I do, 15 min's later it hangs again and crashes (white text on black BG).

I figured installing this wireless USB adapter has caused the problem, as I had no problems with the iBook previous to this - in general and while browsing via ethernet connection.

I reported this problem on the Netgear forums only to be told the drivers were only compatible with the G4 Platform on 10.3 and 10.4. This info' was not present on the driver download page when I initially downloaded the drivers.
I uninstalled the drivers and went back to using an ethernet connection but I still experienced trouble with my iBook (random crashes).
As I don't have much personal stuff on the iBook I figured I may aswell go ahead with a full erase and install of. Completed that but still having problems with random crashes.

On a side note when booting after fresh install the grey apple has a small thin rectangular box near it's top right that I can only think to describe as erm, glitchy? (Random dots of dark colour) It doesn't move or flicker or suchlike, it's just static and was not there before this clean install.

Apologies for long post, figured I'd be as detailed as I could.

Thanks for reading.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Time to run the install DVD/CD and Apple Hardware Test. Run AHT first, assuming you have it, to check out memory modules, logic board etc. Did the drivers you installed come with an uninstaller or did you just drag the lot to trash?

OP
S

_sm

Reaction score
Will that be on the Tiger install discs? 'Cause that's all I have and was given when I purchased the iBook from my friend.

I did run the uninstall.command in order to remove the drivers I installed for the USB adapter.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
No. it will be on the original System Restore CDs your friend should have passed on to you. They are grey colored discs and if you have the retail install Tiger, it will be black.

Here is a link to download AHT 1.2.4 for iBooks. Drag the .dmg file to the left hand column of Disk Utility and burn to a CD. Insert CD and hold down C to boot and run the test:-

http://www.info.apple.com/support/aht.html

OP
S

_sm

Reaction score
I only have the 4 Tiger install discs unfortunately, no sign of a System Restore disc. Should I ask my friend if he has it or can I suffice with using the download from the link you've given me?

Edit:

I've ran the Apple Hardware Test. Both 'Quick Test' and 'Extended Test' brought back no problems and everything passed (thankfully).

Any ideas what next?

OP
S

_sm

Reaction score
Have tried all steps that relate to my situation, but still no luck.

My iBook has no upgrades/add-ons etc.

Here's some photo's of glitchy(?) startup screen..

DSC00302.jpg

DSC00303.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2xiMac24 w Parallels 6 (1x White, 1x Aluminum), iPhone 3GS with iOS5
Have you tried using Disk Utility? Do the repair preferences first and then Verify Disk second.

What version of 10.4 do you have installed?

OP
S

_sm

Reaction score
I'm guessing you meant permission, not preferences?

I've verified and repaired disk permissions with no problems, however the 'verify disk' and 'repair disk' buttons are dulled out..

Update:

Another panic, grabbed my camera this time. Have checked my logs, and there is no log of this kernel panic.

DSC00304.jpg

DSC00306.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.