Restart Loop = ????

Reaction score
We were using the MB last night when I noticed a beeping sound. The sound the third time, then the MP turned itself off. Of course, I thought that since the battery was running low, that it would turn off when it it reaches below 20%.

About 30-45 minute later, I started up the MB again and found the gray screen with a multi-lingual message telling me to restart by holding down the power button or click the restart button. So I went ahead and rebooted the MB using the power button method. Sure enough, it rebooted and went to the gray screen again. This restart loop went on and on for about an hour until I decided stop and find a solution. The battery's fully charged too.

Anyone? Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac aluminium 24 inch 2.4 Ghz, 3GB RAM
Did you mean you had 3 beeps consecutively and then it switch itself off? If so have you replaced the RAM at all? Try uninstalling the RAM and putting it back in and pushing it in AS DEEP AS POSSIBLE. This should make it work again.

Reaction score
I would double check the RAM, like Chaz mentioned. Also, have you tried booting off of an OSX Install or Recovery disc, to see if the machine will load off of a CD versus your hard drive? It doesn't sound like a hard disk issue, but just trying to figure out where in the boot process the machine is throwing the grey screen at you.

Stab in the dark, but sounds like it might be a motherboard issue. Often times if your machine is overheating (fan failure or blockage) it will shut itself down so the heat doesnt destroy anything. I've had a few PC notebooks in the past that will throw some system beeps, alerting you that the notebook is running too hot and may shut itself off.

Let us know what you find out.

OP
A
Reaction score
So I tried to run a few "option" and "s" and "shift" command and was able to determine 95% that it was a HD fault. I took the MB to the Apple store and the geniuses there was able to diagnose the same thing.

The only problem now is that I don't have any boot disk to reinstall Tiger after I get a new HD. Is it possible to buy the new Leopard program and install it?

OP
A
Reaction score
Did you mean you had 3 beeps consecutively and then it switch itself off? If so have you replaced the RAM at all? Try uninstalling the RAM and putting it back in and pushing it in AS DEEP AS POSSIBLE. This should make it work again.

I had 3 beep but at a 15-20 min interval. It shut off at the 3rd beep.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.