A few minor issues

Reaction score
Hi,
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum or anything like that. Everything started happening at once so I didn't want to make multiple threads:Oops:

A few days ago (maybe a week) I was downloading a torrent and when I tried to play the movie file (.mkv) my macbook started acting very slow. I trashed the torrent but now I'm experiencing some odd issues like:

-Startup takes a lot longer: I'll START to type my password and nothing will happen for about 20 seconds, then i can type it, log in, etc. Although as soon as I log in, i get the beachball and can't do anything for anywhere close to a minute. Simple things like just clicking on File, closing or minimizing a window in finder, just mousing over the red X in windows causes it to beachball for a little while.

- Programs simply don't start up (although admittedly I haven't tried to reinstall any of them yet). Adium, iTunes, Word, Quicktime, (these are the ones I've noticed so far) they bounce on the dock once and nothing happens at all. Or I'll try to play a movie and the computer will beachball for about three minutes, then nothing happens. Also just going to certain sites in Firefox (imdb, bloglines, photobucket, youtube just to name a few) either take a very long time to load or the app crashes. I've reinstalled firefox but no change.

-Issues deleting things from trash: This is what confuses me the most. I'll try to delete the trash and it'll say something really specific can't be deleted because it is 'in use'. it first occurred when i tried to remove the torrent that caused the macbook to act sluggish (if it was indeed the source) and i had to restart before i could empty the trash with the torrent in it. Now the same thing happens with other files that i know are not in use.

So I'm guessing this is a processor issue or something? I don't think it could be a virus. I'm really a newbie when it comes to this kind of stuff, and I've looked around for similar issues/other things like repair disc permissions (or whatever it is) and zapping the ram (holding down some keys while restarting) but so far nothing has helped.

Edit: 1 Gb of memory 667 mhz ddr2 sdram (if that helps at all)

Sorry for the length and thanks in advance for any help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.