How can I test for all the defects - MBP 17"?

Reaction score
Hello People,

So I am expecting a new MBP 17" hi-res matte 200Gb 7.2k end of this week and been reading about all the defects these ones have.

Does anyone know of a methodical way to test out all the defects to see if I have them or not? I dont want to start configuring the laptop only to find out I have return it before I have actually even started using it properly.

I know things can go wrong later on but I think that if I check for most of the issues and see no problems then I cant complain later on. I also bought the applecare thing for it.

My baby sis has my old MBP 17" SR and it is like totally perfect so far....got it last Dec ('07) and its been a gem. No problems so far and she uses it like all the time.

(In case ur wondering...got to install the CS3 collection, VMware and the xp/vista/linux VMs, then got some utils to run through, TMchne backup started, superduper backup, Office08 install and all the small things I need to make the laptop actually useable...oh and all the tweaking to make it work the way I expect it too....take ages to do all this....and dont want to waste a weekend)

Thank you very much people,

.JenBell.O:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
I am not sure what problems they have been having. What have you heard/read?

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi Matt,

Heard of loose lids, display problems...alot of them, fans, weird noises from under keyboard...http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/index.php?title=MacBook_Pro

So far I have been pretty luck that my iMAC, MBBlack and MBP 17 have been issue free but kind of feeling nervous this time around:-|

I kind of feel guilty looking for problems but I am so dependent on my laptop, current one is Dell 1730, that any issues will probably kill me mentally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Hi Matt,

Heard of loose lids, display problems...alot of them, fans, weird noises from under keyboard...http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/index.php?title=MacBook_Pro

So far I have been pretty luck that my iMAC, MBBlack and MBP 17 have been issue free but kind of feeling nervous this time around:-|

I kind of feel guilty looking for problems but I am so dependent on my laptop, current one is Dell 1730, that any issues will probably kill me mentally.

I wouldn't say that you are lucky with your purchases, in the sense that you are more likely to have a defect thatn not. Truth be told, all products come with their fair share of defects and more often than not you will see someone posting on a forum complaining/ranting about a problems with their Mac than those talking about how great their Mac is running.

I would simply start using your new MBP and if you notice any sort of problems, take it to your local Apple store and have them take care of it for you. I am not really sure if there is a way to test these problems. I know it doesn't answer your question, but just some thoughts.

Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.