3rd strike!

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have had problems with black stains appearing on my imac screen, apple have replaced the screen twice and the stains have reappeared for the 3rd time since october.

My local apple shop have said that if you suffer from the same fault 3 times that apple will give u a new machine, of course for this i have to ring apple.

Has anyone been through this? Whats the best line of approach ? do I demand a new machine, do I whine and moan and say that this isnt what I bought into etc etc. will they just offer me a new machine? When I rang apple for the second repair they said there was nothing they can do due to the fact that the warranty ran out in october, my local apple guy said they have to say this as its not a 3rd strike and out..

Thanks in advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
My question to you, Why didn't you buy the extended warranty when you've had to send in twice before?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just give Apple a call and state your case. If you don't feel like the issue is resolved, call again and speak to someone else. I wouldn't expect miracles if you didn't extend the warranty but who knows... It can't hurt to try. It'd be worth it to me to spend 3 hours on the phone. It sounds like a long time but worth the investment if you can get it fixed or replaced for free.

Is there a lemon law in your state or country you can fall back on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
There is no "three strike" rule for repairs at Apple. That is a myth which continues to be passed around for some reason. If and when a machine is to be replaced with a new one is at the Store Manager's discretion.

If your machine is out of warranty, then it doesn't make a difference how many times it has happened. The machine is no longer covered and there is nothing that can be done for free. If you take it to an Apple Store, they will be able to look at it and possibly do the repairs, but it will cost you quite a bit of money.

OP
G
Reaction score
It was the apple store that said apple would most likley replace it as i had suffered the same fault 3 times.

I dont feel i should have to buy an extended warranty to expect a very expensive computer to last longer than 16 months. 1500 euros is not cheap in Spain.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
There is no "three strike" rule for repairs at Apple. That is a myth which continues to be passed around for some reason. If and when a machine is to be replaced with a new one is at the Store Manager's discretion.

If your machine is out of warranty, then it doesn't make a difference how many times it has happened. The machine is no longer covered and there is nothing that can be done for free. If you take it to an Apple Store, they will be able to look at it and possibly do the repairs, but it will cost you quite a bit of money.

Agreed, although this 'myth' is pretty strongly repeated. I bought one of my MacBooks at Tekserve in NYC, and after I took in the machine for the 2nd time for repair of a flickering screen, the technician said if this happened again, they'd replace the machine. He did not specify if this was an Apple or Tekserve policy, or even if it was a formal policy at all.

If I had a machine on a limited warranty, and the same issue arose several times, I would question whether or not the issue was really being addressed when it went in for repair. For example, the flickering screen problem was addressed by a new inverter the 1st time I had i fixed. The 2nd time, I got a new inverter AND they fiddled with the internals to reduce the maximum brightness (I know this because I immediately noticed it and compared it to my wife's Macbook, which is noticeably brighter). So they seem to acknowledge unwittingly that the issue could not be permanently fixed just by replacing the part that breaks. In addition, when the warranty runs out, you're on borrowed time.

There's also the reality that if any single component breaks on a complex machine like a computer, the chances of the fault reoccurring or another fault occurring, is much greater. The formula for this is buried in one of my Six Sigma bibles, but I can't find it.

Anyway, my recommendation is to politely suggest they offer you a new machine. Incidentally, my MacBook has been flawless since the 2nd repair...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are free to do as you will. You chose to not buy the warranty. You sent it in once for repair before the warranty. Seems like common sense to add the warranty. Almost any one repair would cost more than the warranty does.

If you paid for the second repair, there should be a new year warranty for only the parts serviced.

But, it kind sounds now like you're grasping at straws now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are free to do as you will. You chose to not buy the warranty. You sent it in once for repair before the warranty. Seems like common sense to add the warranty. Almost any one repair would cost more than the warranty does.

If you paid for the second repair, there should be a new year warranty for only the parts serviced.

But, it kind sounds now like you're grasping at straws now.

You're almost suggesting that people buy the extended warranties to hedge against congenital defects in the hardware. I think Applecare is definitely something everyone should get, but Apple should be more willing to address known issues, rather than trying to convince customers that their experience is a 'one off'.

OP
G
Reaction score
I have had a 3 month warranty with every repair and the problem has reocurred within the warranty.
I just think thats its really shoddy, I love apple systems but I cannot afford to go for another mac after this, I am still paying for this one. I am very dissapointed. Plus the real reason i didnt buy the extended warranty in the first place was financial

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is the first time I've heard of this issue here.
I was trying to say what you mentioned, "the chances of the fault reocurring or another fault occuring, is much greater."

To me, a $250 extended warranty is like insurance. Computers aren't cheap so the $250 warranty is nothing in comparrison. Either the computer has no defect for 2 years but you've lived peacefully or you're risking $$ in repairs at day 366.

I understand what you're saying. Apple should take responsibility for known issues. If my computer had a defect hundreds of others had, I'd try to hold Apple responsible.

This world isn't perfect so I'll drop the $250 to protect my $2500 investment for two more years.

OP
G
Reaction score
I was trying to say what you mentioned, "the chances of the fault reocurring or another fault occuring, is much greater."

To me, a $250 extended warranty is like insurance. Computers aren't cheap so the $250 warranty is nothing in compareison. Either the computer has no defect for 2 years but you've lived peacefully or you're risking $$ in repairs at day 366.

I understand what you're saying. Apple should take responsibility for known issues. If my computer had a defect hundreds of others had, I'd try to hold Apple responsible.

This world isn't perfect so I'll drop the $250 to protect my $2500 investment for two more years.

ye i guess, ill just have to see what happens.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

http://skrud.net/files/pbdisplayproblem1.jpg

http://att.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52959&d=1153257852

Not sure if it's been discussed elsewhere. I thought the GFX update on Leopard was supposed to get rid of this, but perhaps not.

For some people, like the OP, buying a 1,500EUR machine means paying for it over 2 or 3 years, and an extra 250EUR is a pretty big tax on that.

I honestly think in this case, Apple should do the right thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I wouldn't be so sure on that.

It might be up to the manager's discretion to replace it earlier than the third time, but both Apple service providers I've worked for have usually operated by the "3 strikes" rule. But only if you're covered by the original warranty.

It makes economic sense as well: The parts & labour can end up costing
more than the machine is worth, PLUS you risk losing a customer.

Also: Under european law the part that is replaced has to be covered with an additional 1 year warranty, so if the same part breaks after the warranty expires you can demand a new fix.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I'm just an insensitve jerk then.
I don't make a lot of $$. I am not too far off from living check to check. I know how much I make and what I can afford. If a computer costs that much that I would have to pay for it for 3 years, it'd look into something a lot more reasonable. But what do I know, I'm a well off American, right?

I said he should do everything he can to get the issue resolved. Apple is a great customer service company which is why I said he should call back until he gets as far as he can.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess I'm just an insensitve jerk then.
I don't make a lot of $$. I am not too far off from living check to check. I know how much I make and what I can afford. If a computer costs that much that I would have to pay for it for 3 years, it'd look into something a lot more reasonable. But what do I know, I'm a well off American, right?

You're hardly an insensitive jerk... but maybe you're having a bad day, because that response is a little snippy by your standards? A well off American? What does that mean? Spain is hardly 3rd world y'know.

Apple Care is not part of the cost of the computer, it's optional. It's Optional for a reason, it's so Apple can scrape more money out of people's pockets, because as you say, once you've spent $2,000, another $260 hardly seems like anything when you consider the benefits, until you look at HP or Samsung who offer 3 year warranties as standard.

All I am saying is that a 3 year Applecare plan should be simply for extra peace of mind, not something you throw at someone when things go wrong and say it's their fault because they didn't stump up the cash for it.

That said, I happen to agree with your point, although not the way you're making it, that whilst the machine in in warranty, you'd probably want to get more comfort if you've had previous problems. As Aptmunich says, EU law states that repairs be backed by a 12 month warranty from the time it was completed, so the machine might actually still be covered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought Apple had a one year warranty on repaired services which is why I suggested he might still be covered.

Sorry for being a drama queen. :( I felt like I was being told what I was saying is wrong. I wasn't trying to blame the OP.

Let is know how it goes with Apple, Guirigales.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I wouldn't be so sure on that.

It might be up to the manager's discretion to replace it earlier than the third time, but both Apple service providers I've worked for have usually operated by the "3 strikes" rule. But only if you're covered by the original warranty.
I am sure of it. I know several people who work for Apple Stores (both sales and service and different cities, states and locations) and all of them agree that no such policy exists. The manager is the only person capable of making the judgment call.
The service providers you've dealt with may both have a similar "in house" policy, but there is no official Apple 3-strike rule.

M

MacHeadCase

You're hardly an insensitive jerk... but maybe you're having a bad day, because that response is a little snippy by your standards? A well off American? What does that mean? Spain is hardly 3rd world y'know.

Apple Care is not part of the cost of the computer, it's optional. It's Optional for a reason, it's so Apple can scrape more money out of people's pockets, because as you say, once you've spent $2,000, another $260 hardly seems like anything when you consider the benefits, until you look at HP or Samsung who offer 3 year warranties as standard.

All I am saying is that a 3 year Applecare plan should be simply for extra peace of mind, not something you throw at someone when things go wrong and say it's their fault because they didn't stump up the cash for it.

That said, I happen to agree with your point, although not the way you're making it, that whilst the machine in in warranty, you'd probably want to get more comfort if you've had previous problems. As Aptmunich says, EU law states that repairs be backed by a 12 month warranty from the time it was completed, so the machine might actually still be covered.

Agreed. Apple Care extended warranty is not a prerequisite to get good customer service : it's simply added peace of mind and it's a matter of personal choice.

Also Apple isn't that stoopid : when there is a widespread hardware defect on a model, you get justice done with free repairs, extended Apple Care warranty or not.

As an example, think of the Power Mac G5 and iMac G5 (1st and 2nd gen) that are still under a recall if your serial number is included in the lists hosted on Apple's support website and your unit exhibits the specified problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.