Converting AVI files for playback on iPhone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
Hi guys,

I've been using VisualHub to convert some AVI movie files for playback on my iPhone... it works fine, but I've noticed it takes an extremely long time to do. Most of the movie files I have are episodes of TV shows, which are each roughly an hour long. It can take as long as an hour to actually convert them to MPEG4 format. I've tried both converting to MPEG4 and using VisualHub's specific option for converting to iPod. Is there a difference here and which one is better to use in your opinion? And should it be taking this long to convert or is there a better method I could use? It's a bit of a pain sometimes, for instance a few nights ago I wanted to put a movie on my iPhone and take it to a friend's house with my TV out cable so we could watch it on her TV, and I didn't have enough time to wait for the file to convert before I had to leave the house!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Unfortunately, converting videos can take a long time, especially on notebook computers. Converting requires a lot of CPU cycles, so the only way to make it faster would be to use a faster CPU.

OP
stevo-m
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
Unfortunately, converting videos can take a long time, especially on notebook computers. Converting requires a lot of CPU cycles, so the only way to make it faster would be to use a faster CPU.

Ah, okay. I'm using a MBP, so that probably has a lot to do with it then. Thanks.

I also wondered if there is a way of adding folders to the list of movies on the iPhone, so that I can better organise video files?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.