How do you change firewall settings?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Hi all,

I just read about an adware invasion and the suggestion to check your firewall, in this post: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101990&highlight=firewall

I tried to find out how to check and re-set my firewall, but all I could find was that my firewall was set to receive all connections. Uh-oh...

How can I check and re-set my firewall settings?

Thanks, Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
If you look at my response at the bottom of the post, its not an adware hijack but some phishing techniques and javascript redirects

But I will ask the poster if he has downloaded any video codecs recently

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.8ghz IMAC, MB Pro
Hi all,

I just read about an adware invasion and the suggestion to check your firewall, in this post: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101990&highlight=firewall

I tried to find out how to check and re-set my firewall, but all I could find was that my firewall was set to receive all connections. Uh-oh...

How can I check and re-set my firewall settings?

Thanks, Noel

Resist taking security advice from reactionary people who don't have any backround in what they are talking about.

OP
Noels
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Resist taking security advice from reactionary people who don't have any backround in what they are talking about.

Sounds like good advice, but I'd still like to know how to look at my Firewall settings and adjust them if I think I need to. After all, I'm responsible for my own outcomes.

With my PCs I use ZoneAlarm for my firewall, and I can see everybody who tries to come and go and stop the unwanteds... Can I do that with my Macbook is what I'm looking to find out...

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Go to System Preferences --> Security and click on the Firewall tab to adjust the settings. To get the ZoneAlarm popup, you would need to install a third party firewall.

I've been using my Mac for about 15 months now, haven't touched my security settings, and have yet to experience any problems. OS X is inherently more secure than Windows, so there's really no reason for you to mess around with the firewall, especially considering the fact that you couldn't find the settings on your own.

OP
Noels
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Kash and blah...

Thanks to you both. I've been sick for awhile now and stayed away from my computer since. Sorry to not have acknowledged before this. I do appreciate your inputs.

Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.