retrieve data

Reaction score
iBook A1007 has a bad system board and will not boot up. How can I retrieve the data off the HDD before getting the board fixed? :|

Is there anyway to connect it to another mac?

Reaction score
If it won't get through the POST startup, then no, you will have to pull the hard drive. Have you tried booting it in Target mode?

OP
me1303
Reaction score
If I pull the drive will it lose all it's data?

No, I have not tried to boot up in Tiger mode....how would I do that?

Reaction score
If I pull the drive will it lose all it's data?

No, I have not tried to boot up in Tiger mode....how would I do that?

The data on your drive will safe and sound if you have to pull it out. Target mode is a way to start up a Mac so that you can transfer data to another Mac over Firewire. Boot and hold down the "t" key, you will be rewarded with a Firewire icon on the screen. However, if your logic board is really blown, you won't get that far...

OP
me1303
Reaction score
I don't know if it is really gone or not. I was able to boot-up this morning.

OP
me1303
Reaction score
Hard drive is running and I am copying data over to my MBP but there is no display... I think the monitor may be the problem here.

I don't have the power adaptor for the iBook but it seems like the firewire cable is keeping it powered. I was wrong, the battery just went dead. :|

I only got 6 out of 25 gigs copied.

Reaction score
OK, that model was notorious for video problems. Your data is safe, but you will need a power supply, nothing will feed across the Firewire bus. You are almost out of the woods!

OP
me1303
Reaction score
hmmm

OK, that model was notorious for video problems. Your data is safe, but you will need a power supply, nothing will feed across the Firewire bus. You are almost out of the woods!

Do you mean the power adaptor or an internal power supply?

It is not the back light in the monitor?

Reaction score
No, just the power adapter, the regular old 45 watt unit, they were used on several models, hopefully you can borrow one. Incidentally, the monitor is actually fine, but the graphics processor that is soldered to the mother board is dead.

OP
me1303
Reaction score
No, just the power adapter, the regular old 45 watt unit, they were used on several models, hopefully you can borrow one. Incidentally, the monitor is actually fine, but the graphics processor that is soldered to the mother board is dead.

Thank you for your help. I will back up the data and then take it to the shop...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.