High Heat + High CPU Usage = Slow and Laggy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
If I do anything processor intensive that maxes out both the cores, the temperature of the cpu sky rockets and the fans are so so so slow to respond that its already at around 70*C before the fans are at 3000rpm, so tried installing fancontrol and that helped adjusting the fan speeds accordingly not just when its too late. Also when it gets that hot because of the usage everything is so slow and jumpy like the dock is no longer smooth but jumpy and unresponsive, the same with expose and the bouncing icons just look like they're going at 1fps. The same sort of thing happens when im playing halo and monitoring the fps, it runs perfect till it heats up and then drops to 1 fps till it cools down a bit then back to 30fps over and over, but im not really concerned about the games, just when im converting some videos or anything that uses a lot of cpu causes it to happen and slows everything down and makes everything so horribly slow. Does anyone else have this issue?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
Yep same thing happens to me. Usually when i am converting a movie or taking a video off a dvd (copy write is held by my company) i shut down all applications that i am using and walk away from my computer to the file has been copied.

OP
halo200
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but why does this happen? is it a case of overheating or something? this never used to happen on my old ibook, or is it because the graphics are handled by the cpu and it is all being used up doing something else that it can't do any of the graphics work like the dock on minimizing things with the genie affect and so on that the ibook graphics card handles?

Reaction score
Usually when your graphics card & or CPU reach a temperature that is too hot for the component to operate at, the component knows to lower the clock speeds (and thus lowering required voltage and heat) as low as possible to avoid permanent damage to the unit. Usually this temperature is between 65-80C.

OP
halo200
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is that with all the macbooks or just the core duo ones what about the core 2 duos?

Reaction score
is that with all the macbooks or just the core duo ones what about the core 2 duos?

All current, and a lot of older computers, mac or PC, have these failsafes in place to keep heat from destroying components. Even older G3/G4 macs have this feature.

Usually, when a device reaches a certain temperature, it will throttle the speed of some or all components to a very slow speed. Say your GPU runs at 600Mhz normally, if it reaches 70C, it will scale the speed all the way back to 100Mhz. (causing all applications, even your operating system, to run like trash) If the temperature continues to climb, usually the computer will shut itself off to avoid permanent damage. For computers that aren't able to scale processor speeds on the fly, the machine will just turn itself off without warning.

OP
halo200
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
does anyones CPU's fail to throttle back down? like mine usually go down to 1Ghz when its idling, but I installed menu temperature and was monitoring the temp and the clock speed and i saw it get up to 79*C and the clock was staying at 2Ghz, i used the terminal command yes to run apples stress test and even with the fans running at full, I have fan control loaded the fans are running at max and the temp just stays above 76*C but as soon as I closed the terminal it clocked down to 1Ghz untill it got to about 55*C, it seems once my cpu gets to a certain temp it doesn't clock down just staying at the max clock speed stopping the temps from going down.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.