Slow Down

M

macperson2

I am running OS 9.2.2 on a G4 Tower. Best Mac I have ever owned. I have about a GB of RAM. Somehow my files have overtaken me.

I have 2 harddrives, one 40GB and one 80GB both internal (the 80 GB was partitioned in half to 40 & 40) On my main partition I had used up about 35GB of space with less than 4 GB free space.

Yesterday things started to slow down. PageMaker 7.0 started up real slow (usually opens in a flash) Accessing folders on that main partition is slow. Copying files is slow. I am slowly moving files off of the hard drive at this time.

I have tried to run Norton Utilities but it just sits there.
I did a rebuild on all 3 drives which seemed to work. I have also run Disk First Aid sucessfully.

Any ideas on what's going on and/or how to get back up to speed?
I am going to try to remove 10GB from the main partition and in the process of doing that now. (The other 2 drives are working fine) Sherlock is also running very slow when I do a search on that main drive only (which is partition 1 of 2)

Your thoughts will be appreciated.
Thanks

Rich

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Help me to understand your problem. Here is what I understand at this time. You are running OS 9.2.2 on a G4 tower with 1GB or RAM.

There is 2 internal disk drives installed, a 40GB and a 80GB. The 80GB drive is partitioned (40 and 40).

You are using one of the partitions as the system drive , plus data. Whereas the the two remaining drives which are 40GB drives, you are using as data drives.

Now here is the question. It sounds like you are having problems with the system partition and the remianing disk partitions are okay.

The first thing I would do is make sure you have a complete back up of all of your data.

I have tried to run Norton Utilities but it just sits there.

Which application did you run from the Norton Utilities?

I known from time to time it is a good ideas in OS 9 to rebuild the desktop and defrag the disk. Have you rebuilt the desktop file on all three partitions? Also have you run speed disk on the all three partitions?

OP
M

macperson2

Thanks

rman said:
Help me to understand your problem. Here is what I understand at this time. You are running OS 9.2.2 on a G4 tower with 1GB or RAM.

There is 2 internal disk drives installed, a 40GB and a 80GB. The 80GB drive is partitioned (40 and 40).

You are using one of the partitions as the system drive , plus data. Whereas the the two remaining drives which are 40GB drives, you are using as data drives.

Now here is the question. It sounds like you are having problems with the system partition and the remianing disk partitions are okay.

The first thing I would do is make sure you have a complete back up of all of your data.

Which application did you run from the Norton Utilities?

I known from time to time it is a good ideas in OS 9 to rebuild the desktop and defrag the disk. Have you rebuilt the desktop file on all three partitions? Also have you run spped disk on the all three partitions?

Thanks for getting back to me. The startup drive(40BG) is not the one I am having trouble with. It's the partitioned 80GB. One partition is fine, where the other is having problems. Yes, I did do a rebuild on all 3. No I have not done a speed disk yet. I was removing some files from the one partition first. These are all data files only. Basically customer files.

The application I ran from Norton was Disk Doctor.
I am now running AntiVirus.

I agree with you regarding problems with the partition.
I guess I filled the partition up and that was when the problems started.

Any further suggestions will be appreciated. I do plan on defragging with speed disk after I move a few more files. I usually prefer to do a Disk First Aid check first to make sure all is ok beforehand. (last one I did failed on that partition)

Thanks

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
After you have run speed disk and the problem does not go away. You might want to back up all of the data on that partition. Wape the partition clean and put all of your data back. If it is your system partition, then you need to copy your system folder to another partition.

Another thought, if you move the system folder and the problem moves to the new area. Then you may have a bad file in your system folder.

OP
M

macperson2

Hi,
This is not a system partition.
My problem is just moving files off the partition at all. Opens very slow and Icons appear very slow. Folders over very slow.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.