TrackPad Problems

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone might have some ideas here. I've had some major trackpad problems on my MacBook Pro 2.33 w/ OS X 10.4.11 since applying the following updates on 3/22:

Java For Mac OS X 10.4 Release 6 1.0
iTunes 7.6.1
QuickTime 7.4.1
Safari 3.1
Security Update 2008-002 (universal)

Since these updates, which I did pretty much all at once (except for the Security Update which failed the first time I tried it - I have since reapplied it with no help), I have had nothing but trouble with my trackpad. Essentially, it won't respond when tapping the trackpad or it will really over respond by launching a program multiple times. Another quirky behavior is that in Photoshop, I can't slide tabs around to work on photos. Single clicks turn into double clicks, or don't work at all.

I have tried plugging in a USB mouse and DO NOT get the same problems, so I hoping it's isolated to the trackpad.

I have repaired disk permissions, and reset PRAM, but still the problems persist.

Help!

OP
B
Reaction score
I ran both the regular test and the extended test, as you suggested, and "No Trouble Found." was the answer. I did notice that the arrow "skipped" around a bit when I was inside the hardware test and moving my finger on the trackpad. Could this be a larger problem?

Reaction score
I ran both the regular test and the extended test, as you suggested, and "No Trouble Found." was the answer. I did notice that the arrow "skipped" around a bit when I was inside the hardware test and moving my finger on the trackpad. Could this be a larger problem?

I'm no expert, but it sounds like a problem with the track pad if it was skipping around, problem detecting where your finger is on the pad, perhaps?

If it's still under warranty - or even if it isn't - You could give apple support a ring or take it to a local reseller/tech and have them take a looksie at it! Hope you get it fixed :Smirk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.