Tiger or Leopard faster on Core Duo Macbook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
I have the 2Ghz Core Duo Macbook. Does anybody have a core duo that went from Tiger to leopard? Do you think tiger was faster in any way because when I bought my macbook it came with 10.5 I used to have an ibook with tiger and it just feels like that ran faster than the macbook with higher specs. the boot time is longer some programs take longer to start like itunes and it just feels like the ibook was a snappier machine, does anybody feel the same or have any ideas?

My specs are:

2Ghz Core Duo
1GB Ram
120GB HD

88GB - OSX
22GB - XP

Would Adding more Ram and Taking out the Windows Partition Speed things up? Especially the boot time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Increasing RAM will not decrease the boot time. During the boot sequence the Mac should be checking the RAM so adding more would technically add more time. But that shouldn't be the issue.
Do you have anything load at startup?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Go to Systems Preferences>Accounts>User>Log In Items and make sure iTunes etc is not selected. Having applications selected will naturally slow down your boot time.

On a G4 Tower, Leopard boots in fifty seconds, compared to forty five under Tiger, but then Leopard has so much mnore to do I guess.

OP
halo200
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
there isn't anything loading at startup, im considering upgrading the hard drive from the 120GB to a 200GB 7200rpm because I need the space. will this decrease the boot times and application startups? Is there any downsides to a faster hard drive? eg Heat and Power consumption?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think the percentage is 20%... If you have 20% or less free HD space you will experience slowdowns. A 7200 RPM drive will help but it will put out more heat and need more power. Side effects should be minimal.

OP
halo200
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i trashed the caches folder and reset the PRAM and it made a huge difference, it was taking about 1:30 mins and now its down to about 40ish but im still looking to increase the overall speed of my applications opening so i'll still upgrade to a 7200rpm when i have the money is 200gb the highest at that speed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know, try newegg.com to see. You can sort by speeds there.
Have you repaired permissions renently? You could give that a try.

OP
halo200
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea i have repaired permission numerous times, every time I do though I get heaps of ACL found but not expected in heaps of folders. It seems to help every so often.

Reaction score
It depends on what you use XP for.

I have never bothered with Bootcamp - using Parallels and VM Fusion instead for XP, Vista and 2000. But, IMHO, both need 2Gb of RAM as a minimum; the more the better.

You can also run the Virtual Machines from an external drive to save space (I have 10 VMs)

OP
halo200
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
im thinking about putting vista over xp but my friends one seemed to overheat and the fan always came on too late for it to cool efficiently and the processor had to clock down which slowed everything down and games like halo ran so much slower than XP, would adding more ram make these run faster, can you control the fan speed in windows like you can on vista?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.