Bluray possibility

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
Do you guys think when Bluray reading/writing support is avalible for the MBP, will it be possible to go to the apple store and have them switch out the old superdrive for a new Bluray drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
[2008 MacBook Pro 2.5Ghz,4GB Ram,250GB HD,512MB VIDEO] [16GB iPhone]
Do you guys think when Bluray reading/writing support is avalible for the MBP, will it be possible to go to the apple store and have them switch out the old superdrive for a new Bluray drive?

def will be able to but it wil cost lots of mula

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
If they don't change the way the drive is shaped it might be possible. It will be extremely expensive though.
I know Sony puts Blu-ray drives in their laptops but they're willing to take the losses to promote their technology. I don't see Apple doing the same thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
It's my understanding that Apple will not swap out components on their computers for component upgrades. I once checked with them to see if they would load a higher capacity hard drive into my MBP and that's what I was told. They'll replace defective parts, but won't upgrade. The only reason I can think of is because they want you to just buy a whole new computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
I was at a Simply Computing store here in Vancouver BC.......LaCie External Firewire/USB 2.0 BluRay burner......I almost had a heart atack at the price.....eight hundred bones !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
External drives are expensive. I've seen some for $600 though.
The new Toast will burn Blu-ray but I don't know of any app that lets you play them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You can get internal Blu-Ray burners for around $350 and simple Blu-Ray read only drives for a paltry $125. I'm seriously considering getting the latter for my HTPC as it's the cheapest way to get Blu-Ray right now.

OP
kkelly122
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
man i wish they could just swap it out. i just checked to see how much 1 burnable bluray disk cost and it was $13.99 :eek: for 1 disk. what a rip off. i guess ill see and just wait what happens on the prices. i would really love to have it though in the future.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.