Simple Questions

Reaction score
Hi again! I finally gathered the money for a Macbook and I'd be lying if I said I'm not pleased! So thanks for the help before, everyone.
But I've encountered some things I'd like to ask about again :Grimmace:

1. Is it okay to leave the battery plugged in? I don't plan on to carry this anywhere yet and at the moment I'm using it more as a desktop. (I've read the Apple page). Should I unplug it and just let it run on the battery every few days or so?

2. For cleaning up the files, is MacJanitor or MainMenu better? Sorry that this violates the rule. Just didn't want to create another thread for a minor question

3. What temperature is your Macbook running at? With a 2.1Ghz CPU, the CPU is running at 48-50C (~121F) which worries me because Apple recommends it run at no more than 35C (95F).

Thanks so much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook (early 2006): 1.83 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, OSX Leopard and iPod 5th Gen 30GB
hey man,

1. Is it okay to leave the battery plugged in? I don't plan on to carry this anywhere yet and at the moment I'm using it more as a desktop. (I've read the Apple page). Should I unplug it and just let it run on the battery every few days or so?

You really shouldn't worry about this, I've had mine pretty much running as a desktop with the battery plugged in and experience (18 months of it) has shown no ill effects to either the MacBook or myself xP lol. Your battery will still serve you when the need arises FEAR NOT. Although calibration of the battery may still be useful to make the capacity gauge smart ;) just once let the mac run right down until it sleeps the plug power back in and start it back up, lets the power gauges know what's what :)

2. For cleaning up the files, is MacJanitor or MainMenu better? Sorry that this violates the rule. Just didn't want to create another thread for a minor question

This may be best answered by someone else (SORRY xDD)

3. What temperature is your Macbook running at? With a 2.1Ghz CPU, the CPU is running at 48-50C (~121F) which worries me because Apple recommends it run at no more than 35C (95F).

My CPU is currently running at 65C with no ill effects. These machines run hot naturally, mine gets even hotter when I am doing anything like ripping CDs or DVDs, it's just the way these are.

Take care

Dave

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply - guess it's pretty normal then :)
However, I am using smcFanControl and running my fan at 3600rpm instead of the 1800rpm. It's dropped from 50C to 43C. But then I'm worrying if I should really be fiddling with fanspeed. Oh I'm such a worrier. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB RAM, 120GB hard drive
I'm just using firefox and iTunes (have other applications open but they're not doing anything) and my CPU is at about 42ºC, I think this is my macbook's usual "low" temp. It can get much hotter, depending on what I'm doing.
I had no idea apple recommended it staying at around 35ºC. :|

ETA: 46ºC now.

Edited again: my harddrive is much cooler: 30ºC.
Do you have a link to the article about the temps?

OP
D
Reaction score
^ Yep: http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html
Apple said:
Notebook Temperate Zone. Your Apple notebook works best from 50° to 95°F. You should store them in places with temperatures of -13° to 113°. That’s 10° to 35°C and -25° to 45°, for the metrically inclined. Keeping your Mac as near room temperature as possible (22°C) is ideal.

Edit: Sorry got another quick question..
But are Macbook users experiencing this "windows not covering whole screen" thing? I have no problems with the window not covering the dock (I prefer it actually) but for example, my Firefox window doesn't cover the right side of the screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
Mac has a different way of maximizing. Move it all the way to the left, then press the +. If that doesnt maximize it, use the lower right and stretch it out. Mac saves two settings, a small and a large. Clicking the + changes between the 2 sizes. I think one is your custom, and one just makes it large enough to fit the page.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks ogacon. That did the trick! :)
And thanks everyone for helping a new Mac user out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
white Macbook, 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB RAM, 120GB hard drive
^ Yep: http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

Apple said:
Notebook Temperate Zone. Your Apple notebook works best from 50° to 95°F. You should store them in places with temperatures of -13° to 113°. That’s 10° to 35°C and -25° to 45°, for the metrically inclined. Keeping your Mac as near room temperature as possible (22°C) is ideal.

Oh, that doesn't mean that your CPU shouldn't be hotter than 35ºC, it just means that you shouldn't use it often somewhere where the room temperature is higher than 35ºC. :)
Don't worry so much about the CPU temperature, your macbook is fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.