How to back up everything without exceptions?

Reaction score
I am new to the OSX, and I am buying Macbook Pro. Using Macbook for one year I realized that Macbook Pro will be the last bit of my happiness. Therefore, I need to know how to transfer all information to my new Macbook Pro? I read about Time Machine and as I understood it backs up all digital photos, music, movies, TV shows, and documents, but what if I have my own OSX settings? Is it possible to clone it?
Many thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
will you have both computers at the same time? if so you can just use the set up assistant to transfer all your files and preferences from your old computer.

OP
T
Reaction score
The problem I won't have two machines at the same time. Should I make back up using Time Machine transferring all data to USB Drive, and then using Migration Assistant restore system image?

M

MacHeadCase

I gather you have an external hard drive ? Use the latest SuperDuper! version. Just google the name, download and use it : it's pretty straightforward and easy to understand.

I've read there are problems with Time Machine and it isn't a real backup solution. When I finally upgrade to Leopard, I've decided I won't be using Time Machine at all and will keep on using Shirt Pocket Software's SuperDuper! app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 27" W/ MAGIC MOUSE,iPhone 3GS
I gather you have an external hard drive ? Use the latest SuperDuper! version. Just google the name, download and use it : it's pretty straightforward and easy to understand.

I've read there are problems with Time Machine and it isn't a real backup solution. When I finally upgrade to Leopard, I've decided I won't be using Time Machine at all and will keep on using Shirt Pocket Software's SuperDuper! app.

I was using memeo for a while until it started not backing up all the time,stating that the back up drive has failed.I choose not to use the time machine because it does not back up the way a back up program is supposed to . So i will try the superduper as machheadcase has always given some good advice!Especially to me when i had a problematic Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM

MHC,

SuperDuper IS super duper. I used Time Machine for the last time and decided to pay the low price of $27.95 for SuperDuper yesterday. It really opens up what you can do.

I used Time Machine on Saturday night to back up my 51 GB of files and it couldn't do it in 10 hours. I used SuperDuper right after that and it did it in 1 hour and 16 minutes, and the back-up is bootable!! Super duper!! :)

Go for it and don't wait until their price goes up...

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Ahh good on you Noels. SuperDuper is a great program and you will be pleased with the Smart Backup option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.