Recordings on a Macintosh LC

Reaction score
I have some old audio recordings on a classic Macintosh LC that I want to transfer to my PC or (more modern) mac. I have transferred them to my PC via floppy disk, and they appear on the PC as a 'file', and have no size, although on the Mac LC they are 218kb. I have extracted to 'macbinary' (.bin) file on the PC (and they become 218kb again), but am stuck from there. Is there any way to transfer these to a more usable file format? I suppose I could just re-record them onto a PC via an audio cable, but I would prefer to just convert the .bin to a .wav or something.

Thanks for any help anyone could give me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Are they mac .snd sound files?

If so the info is stored in the resource fork of the file. The pc will only see the data fork so the transfer will essentially give you no info on the PC side

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resource_fork

if you have access to a modern mac with itunes, it will be able to convert them to aac or mp3 or wav

if you are stuck with the old LC try looking for SoundApp which can convert then to AIFF under system 7

http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/~franke/SoundApp/ (the one for 680 macs not PPC)

Reaction score
Theres a little sound app called Brian's sound tool 1.3 it will
convert the files to wav. files.

OP
S
Reaction score
I have no idea whether they are .snd files - there is no indication, but I will try Brian's sound tool on my mac mini. Thanks for the help!

OP
S
Reaction score
Solved! Used a combination of a 'mac on a stick' system 7 emulator and stuffit expander!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.