Boot Camp question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
I have a really random question. Can I use Boot Camp to install an older version of Mac OS X as opposed to a Windows OS? Would the process be the same? Thanks in advance.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a really random question. Can I use Boot Camp to install an older version of Mac OS X as opposed to a Windows OS? Would the process be the same? Thanks in advance.

Boot Camp is geared toward installing Windows. It will format the partition in FAT32 and modify the EFI for Windows compatibility. I'm sure there's a way to dual-boot different versions of OS X, but Boot Camp is not it.

Keep in mind that 10.4 is the only other version of OS X that is Intel compatible (aside from Leopard). Also note that 10.4 was never offered in a retail package, so you'd need an Intel Mac that came with 10.4 originally and also a separate, retail copy of 10.5.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.