Flickering Screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 80 GB HD, 1 GB memory
i have had my macbook for about a year now, and in the last few weeks, the back light starts to flicker, going from a darker to lighter view. It happens randomly and isnt to annoying, but just wondering if anyone else has/has had this prblem and ne self fixes would be nice as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Take it to Apple before the warrantee expires. My wife's Macbook developed a flicker, and it was random as you have described. I took it to the Apple Store and after describing the symptom they agreed that it was probably a bad backlight inducer. While I couldn't reproduce the problem in front of them they agreed to fix it under warrantee since they had some other special mojo that allowed them to confirm that the inducer was bad.

It's only going to get worse. My wife's Macbook seems to have developed another flicker problem, but we extended Apple Care on it so I have plenty of time to address it if it gets worse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah, my gf's had the same issue: They ended up replacing the logic board, display board and the cable to the display...

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 80 GB HD, 1 GB memory
well, seems worse than i thought. thanks for the advice. i shall have to look further into it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 Core Duo, 60 GB HDD, 1 GB RAM, 19" Samsung Widescreen External Monitor
Definitely take it into the apple store or get an extended warranty. I bought my computer in 2006 and it had the screen flicker 6 months after I bought it. Of course being a college student i didn't take it in because I'm lazy :) but it gets progressively worse. Get it fixed while you still can.

Reaction score
yup i had it as well, for me it was the inverter they replaced, I say the sooner the better, especially if you dont have the extended warranty, my screen flicker just started again (got teh old inverter replaced about 9 months ago) so I will have to bring it in again, thank god for apple care. im surprised these newer ones are still have this trouble, oh well.

oh ya and it does get progressively worse and more frequent so if its not annoying now, it will be in a month or 2

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.