headphones broke in headphone jack.

Reaction score
i unplugged my headphones out my mac and the very end piece broke and is now stuck in my mac. does anyone know of any way i can get it out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Pair of tweezers or a really powerful vacuum?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
haha...that cant be good! how did it ever manage to do that?

how much of it is still sticking out? if there is enough you may be able to use a pair of nose pliers to pull it out...

OP
MacBoi
Reaction score
ya i tried all that but everything is too big. i dunno how it happened. i just pulled them out and it stayed in there. not the entire piece. just the very end so it is as far back as possible with nothing sticking out. is it possible to take my macbook apart and get to that piece?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15"MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz i7 (2013) | 15"MacBook Pro 2.6GHz (2018) both OS 10.14.1 | iPhone 6 OS 12.1
i wouldn't try that...if possible get the good people at apple to help you...if you mess with the machine...you may mess things up further...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I think it will need opening up, try and book it in at an apple genuis bar if poss if you don't want to open it up yourself

OP
MacBoi
Reaction score
i just moved to ohio and the closest mac store is over 2 hours away. i think ill be okay if i open it up myself, but is there anything i should look out for? thanks for the help everyone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Shot in the dark here but try getting a toothpick with a very small amount of super glue on the end and try gluing the toothpick to the broken piece while avoiding the sides. Let it dry for a moment and then try pulling it out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Shot in the dark here but try getting a toothpick with a very small amount of super glue on the end and try gluing the toothpick to the broken piece while avoiding the sides. Let it dry for a moment and then try pulling it out

Nice idea!

I don't think opening it up will help at all. Even after opening up your computer, it will still be stuck inside the jack component, which will not be opened up by opening the computer.

I'd go with the toothpick idea, but maybe something with a little more surface area for better grip.

OP
MacBoi
Reaction score

tried it and it works. much thanks man. thought it would be there forever

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
Good to see it worked for you, being a mechanic I use magnetic pickup tools, we use em to go grab bolts, nuts, screws, sockets, wrenches that we may have dropped inside an engine bay......we got small ones that might of worked in your case.....

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!

Ha, love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
rmad hre asthnin a mehaniet tool we use em to go grab bolts, nuts, screws, sockets, wrenches that we may have dropped inside an engine bay......we got small ones that might of worked in your case.....

... what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
Might be time for new batteries in my main desktop's (PC) wireless keyboard....man it missed a lot of letters n stuff in the first little bit there....ugh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Im glad (and a bit surprised) it worked. Have fun :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac|MacBook
Headphone end is broken off inside the jack

The end of my headphones has broken off inside the jack to my macbook. I took it to a computer store that services apple and they couldnt fix it. The guy said that the logic board would have to be replaced to fix the jack problem, which will cost over $700. He removed the back to see if he cold extract it but it is sealed. Tweezers are too small to reach inside and pull it out, and Im not sure if I should crazy glue the broken headphone end and try to reattach it inside the jack then pull it out. Using a magnet might do some damage also. Any ideas? sucks not being able to listen to music, that was the main reason I bought the laptop in the first place.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
I use an external USB sound card from Creative Labs. Costs $50. I like having high end speakers for my MacBook but didn't want to have to keep plugging into the headphone jack. The sound card stays permanently plugged into my USB hub.

Works great for me, although it wouldn't be ideal if you listen to music while traveling with the machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac|MacBook
thanks. i guess ill try the superglue idea.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.