• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What do you think of a Carbon MBP?

Reaction score
I wasnt sure what section to toss this in so this seemed as good as any. I recently stumbled upon that oldish pic of the MB with carbon fiber protective "skin" (for lack of a better word) and it got me thinking that they should make the next MBP out of carbon fiber. Its pretty light, dissipates heat well and is very strong. The MBP design has been around for forever and a complete CF shell would be awesome. Asus and Acer have incorporated it into their ferrari/lambo notebooks but those are not complete CF chassis.
Anyway, what are your thoughts? yay or nay?

Reaction score
I'm not sure making all MBPs carbon fibre would be a good idea. Carbon fibre is very expensive. It sure does look cool, but it's not really necessary for a laptop to be made of it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard
The Macbook you saw was probably just a sticker. I'm 99% sure of it actually. It would really expensive to make a laptop out of carbon fiber as said before.

mac_2.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 Pro - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - macOS Monterey
The Macbook you saw was probably just a sticker. I'm 99% sure of it actually. It would really expensive to make a laptop out of carbon fiber as said before.

mac_2.jpg

WHERE DID YOU FIND THAT?

DO WANT.

*edit*

Okay, found it.

I want to do that, but with black and white checkerboard.

Now that I got my RAM upgrade, this will be the next thing I do for my MacBook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
Umm, like ew.
I think it'll look and feel really weird, and it doesn't really feels "Apple". Just my thoughts on that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I'd rather have an expensive carbon fiber laptop than one made of gold or some other precious metal. I think it looks pretty cool. If I had a Blackbook, I'd definitely get that skin.

OP
C
Reaction score
the only real drawback i see would be the manner in which CF breaks. While its really strong, should you damage it it wouldnt dent but it would crack and i can see it causing a couple of cuts if the design was not properly refined (and you thought MB's were sharp).
I dont see cost as being particularly prohibitive, teh blackbook has proven mac customers are willing to pay money for something that is simply a differnt colour plastic, I dont see why they wouldnt be down for a somehting like CF which brings with it all those other advantages.
Hey if they can make CF toilet seats, they can make MB.

OP
C
Reaction score
oh and that was teh MB i had seen. I knew it was just a sticker, i attempted to convey that with the term "skin" but clearly I failed. still it looks pretty awesome, and would look even better if it was real CF, nothing better than dry carbon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
I seem to remember a post some time back which was talking about skins.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.