Login / Passwords Disaster

agb

Reaction score
For the past two days I have been unable to login to ANY internet sites using logins and passwords - using BOTH SAFARI AND FIREFOX - and trying from browser memory or manual entry ... I enter the login and the password - and the page just comes back asking for it again! :Angry:

I am logged in here using my PC and not the MAC.

All my passwords on these sites work perfectly from the PC.

HELP .... PLEASE!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Could be many things

Usually the browsers store password cookies for each site - it is odd that two browsers have lost password information

Firstly I would try creating a fresh User account and try logging on from that, that would isolate a problem from your user account

OP
A

agb

Reaction score
Could be many things

Usually the browsers store password cookies for each site - it is odd that two browsers have lost password information

Firstly I would try creating a fresh User account and try logging on from that, that would isolate a problem from your user account

Thanks for your response LOUISEN .. but ... tried that .. set up a new site (never accessed on the MAC before) on the PC .. with a new login and password - and :Angry: still nothing - just a return to the login page of that website.

Cannot understand how the same problem is manifesting itself in BOTH Safari AND Firefox .... have even re-installed Safari .. but still getting nowhere?

I am relatively new (6 months) to MAC ... and at times like this I wish there was a 'SYSTEM RESTORE' option ... but, unless I have missed something :Sleeping: I don't think there is??!!

PLEASE ... HAS ANYBODY GOT ANY SUGGESTIONS???

Thanks in anticipation ......

Reaction score
This is interesting because safari and firefox store their passwords in different places.

Safari stores passwords in your keychain (Applications>Utilities>Keychain access) When you open your keychain do sites show up (In the passwords category)?

In Firefox, go to preferences and click on the security tab. There should be a "show passwords..." button. Do your sites show up there?

OP
A

agb

Reaction score
This is interesting because safari and firefox store their passwords in different places.

Safari stores passwords in your keychain (Applications>Utilities>Keychain access) When you open your keychain do sites show up (In the passwords category)?

In Firefox, go to preferences and click on the security tab. There should be a "show passwords..." button. Do your sites show up there?

Thanks for your input AA :) ....

A couple of thoughts ....

Looked for the passwords under the TOOLS menu ... in a PC it normally shows the OPTIONS at the bottom of the 'Tools' menu - and from there you go to 'SECURITY' and then PASSWORDS ... but, the TOOLS menu in the MAC version of Firefox 2.0.0.12 ends at "CLEAR PROFILE DATA" ... no 'OPTIONS' option!!

Also, just to confuse the LOGIN / PASSWORD issue even further .. I have just tried to access a site through LOGIN and PASSWORD using 'OPERA' as a browser .. and, EXACTLY THE SAME AS WITH SAFARI AND FIREFOX ... you enter the login and the password - press 'enter' and the login / password page just pops up again!!

THIS PROBLEM IS OBVIOUSLY SOMETHING THAT HAS NOTHING DO TO WITH THE THREE INDIVIDUAL BROWSERS - BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO START LOOKING - AND AN EXTENSIVE 'GOOGLE' HAS BROUGHT FORTH NOTHING!

Going MAD here!!! :Angry:

Reaction score
I think there is osmething whix=ch is preventing you form accessing the login to the server.

Try to delete all the temporary folders and remove any save password.If this is still not working then Update your antivirus and scan your system.Also scan using panda online scan which is free.

Good Luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
For the past two days I have been unable to login to ANY internet sites using logins and passwords

Strange that you're logged in to this one and posting.

OP
A

agb

Reaction score
Strange that you're logged in to this one and posting.

Hi! My INITIAL posting makes mention of the fact ...

"I am logged in here using my PC and not the MAC."

But, thanks for querying that - just in case anybody else thought it strange too! :)

OP
A

agb

Reaction score
INTERNET LOGIN & PASSWORDS FAIL ... in ALL browsers!!!

I am using an IMac running OS X (Tiger) and have a serious problem which is preventing me from sleeping at night!

For the past TWO WEEKS I have been unable to login to ANY internet sites using logins and passwords - using ANY OF THE FOLLOWING BROWSERS ... SAFARI, FIREFOX, OPERA, and CAMINO - trying from browser memory AND/OR manual entry ... I enter the login and the password - and the page just comes back asking for it again!

Have gone to sites never visited on the Mac, entered a login and password created on a PC - and the same thing happens - the login page just pops up again as though you hadn't entered anything!

Obviously, in light of the above, I am logged in here using my PC and not the MAC.

All my logins/passwords on these sites work perfectly from the PC.

I posted this query in the 'OS X - OPERATING SYSTEM' forum just after my problem started but the feedback there has, so far, been limited and of no help.

I am relatively new to Mac and am still confused as to the possibility that some 'virus' may be responsible for this absurd situation. It OBVIOUSLY cannot be a browser problem as it manifests itself in the FOUR browsers tried so far!

IF ANYBODY CAN OFFER ANY THOUGHTS, SUGGESTIONS, OR HELP??? .... PLEASE!!

Thanks in anticipation! :)
A

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.