For all you Leopard users : fine tuning sound level

M

MacHeadCase

Did you know you could fine tune the sound level on your Mac if you're running OS X Leopard ? Just caught this off of the CreativeBits blog :

...Every time you press the Volume key, a full block of volume is raised or lowered in the Volume bezel on your screen. If the amount it is raised or lowered is too much or not enough, you can adjust the amount by a quarter of a block at a time. ...

More details on the keyboard shortcuts to use when clicking on the provided link.

The article's intro talks about a notebook, so am not sure if this works on a desktop model though, since I still am using Tiger, I cannot test it. Someone else will have to try this one. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Yep. I've seen this hack some time back. I don't however think anyone needs that much of fine tuning!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.2ghz 2G 15.5" 10.5.2; Iphone 3G
I just wish the MBP's speakers would be louder on the loudest setting. If any small sound is going on in the room (fan, Air Handler) I can barely hear any definition from my music/videos/etc. It pays to have nice headphones!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Cool tip MHC!

Sometimes when using my in-ear phones a whole "block" louder can be too much...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
MHC, works on my iMac G5 iSight like your machine. Great find!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP
yea, I read this a while back on MacOSXhints
As aptmunich said, it is really useful when using headphones

OP
M

MacHeadCase

Cool tip MHC!

Sometimes when using my in-ear phones a whole "block" louder can be too much...

Yeah that's what I think too, that's why I posted this and... a new feature I'm looking forward to when I upgrade. :)

And thanks for the trial on the G5, trav ! Now I know it'll work on mine too !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I am going to assume it works on all macs since its a software thing (also works on my mac pro btw)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.