.mac monthly bandwidth

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was wondering whether anybody could tell me what the monthly bandwidth allocation is for the basic .mac account (£69)?

On the apple website, it says it can be upgraded to 200gb per month, but doesn't actually say what the basic pack covers (or at least I can't see it!).

I produce a monthly house music podcast which is hosted with Lycos for £15 per month, I've had no problems with them, but they only offer a meager 40gb a month (which I'm getting very close to breaching) and it's expensive to buy extra. The .mac account sounds like a well priced alternative (if the bandwidth is at a decent level).

Thanks for your help.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Took me a while to find it. But here is the info from my account. This is a copy and paste from Apple's site.
About .Mac data transfer limits
.Mac monitors the amount of "data transfer" (the amount of information viewed by visitors to your websites) associated with each .Mac account in order to ensure a high level of performance for all .Mac users. When you purchase a .Mac membership, you receive 10 gigabytes (GB) of storage and up to 100 GB of data transfer capacity per month.

Every time someone accesses content you've published to .Mac, your data transfer usage is adjusted. For example, if you publish a 50 megabyte (MB) movie, and 10 of your friends view it, 500 MB of your allotted data transfer quota will have been used.

If you're close to exceeding your monthly data transfer limit, you'll receive a message from the .Mac team. You can use up to half of your monthly quota during the first 15 days of a month. If you exceed your data transfer limit, any website, blog, or podcast associated with your .Mac account is turned off and service will not be reinstated until the 1st or 16th of the month (Pacific Standard Time), whichever comes first.

You can check your data transfer usage at any time in the Details section of your Account Settings page. (To see your Account Settings, go to www.mac.com, log in, and click Account in the left column.)

As specified in the .Mac terms and conditions, member data transfer limits are determined by the amount of .Mac storage you have. You can increase your monthly data transfer limit up to 200 GB or 300 GB per month by adding more storage space to your .Mac account. For more information, search for "storage and data transfer capacity" in .Mac Help

The upgrade price per year for storage/transfer limits is: $50 for 20GB/200GB and $100 for 30GB/300GB.

OP
Pink Mink
Reaction score
Hi Bob, thanks for the info. It sounds like I may opt for a .mac account then, certainly more cost effective than the Lycos account I've been using. Sounds a bit silly that you can only use half your bandwidth for the first part of the month though?!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.