Are there any downsides to G3 iBook(700mhz+) ?

Reaction score
Are there any downsides to G3 iBooks(700mhz+) ?

I hear they only have USB 1.1 which I found to be kind of odd. I guess my question is for G3 iBook owners, around 700mhz, Is there anything you don't like about your iBook?

O

otopico

The only thing i donnt like about my iBook g3/900 is the inability to add internal bluetooth.

The usb is also slow, but has never been an issue.

I couldn't imagine a better portable machine.

OP
M
Reaction score
Does the low-res screen ever bother you? I think I can live without internal bluetooth.

Is installing an airport card pretty easy?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
"iBook g3/900 is the inability to add internal bluetooth."

Well you can only add internal bluetooth as a build to order option, so you can't add it afterwards on a new g4 ibook either.

"I hear they only have USB 1.1 which I found to be kind of odd"

Why is that odd? When that machine came out, USB 2.0 wasn't out, so how could it have it? Having said that, unless you need to use a USB 2.0 harddrive based device this shouldn't be much of a problem for you.

"Is installing an airport card pretty easy?"

Should be fairly simple, on the G4 you simply pop up the keyboard and then insert into the space provided. Done.

"Does the low-res screen ever bother you?"

Well that ibook has the same resolution as current ibooks and most laptops, so no I'd say it's fine unless you doing video / audio / photoshop work, in which case I'd recommend a higher-res screen (i.e. powerbook 15" - the 14" ibook and 12"powerbook also have 1024x768)

It should be a great portable machine for everyday use...

T

The mac 13

Aptmunich said:
"Is installing an airport card pretty easy?"

Should be fairly simple, on the G4 you simply pop up the keyboard and then insert into the space provided. Done.

how do you that? i heard that apple site has the guide? :mac:

OP
M
Reaction score
Aptmunich said:
Why is that odd? When that machine came out, USB 2.0 wasn't out, so how could it have it? Having said that, unless you need to use a USB 2.0 harddrive based device this shouldn't be much of a problem for you.

I guess I thought those iBooks weren't that old. Around what time were the 700mhz G3 iBooks sold?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Well we're currently (as of today) on the 3rd revision of the G4 ibooks, before that there were 900 Mhz G3 ibooks, so that one must be around 1 revision before that.

A wild guess would be end of 2002/beginning 2003...

"how do you that? i heard that apple site has the guide"

The documentation has a guide, but it really couldn't be simpler...

There are 3 latches: 1 next to the esc key, one next to the F12 key. The other is actually a screwed latch that doubles as a num key indicator.

Just screw the num key latch, and pull down the other 2 latches and you can lift up the keyboard - Careful, it's still attached to the 'book by a ribbon cable, don't break that!!!

Underneath is the airport card slot, just stick it in, attach the antenna (also right there) close it up and you're done!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.